FaceTime camera and Skype

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anglican-Mac, Nov 16, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Will the FaceTime camera work with any apps such as skype, or is it restricted to FaceTime only?

I dont have an iPhone 4 yet, but I might be able to upgrade soon. This would be a contributing factor to deciding to upgrade.

2. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Skype hasnt been updated to use the front facing camera for video calls. I really hope soon though.
    There are a few IM clients and other apps that do take advantage of the camera and allow for videochat without relying just on Facetime.

3. macrumors 6502a

You can use the Tango app if the other person has it too and Yahoo messenger also. Those are the only other app that I use. Can't use Skype yet.

4. macrumors regular

5. macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I wish Skype would allow for the use of the camera(s). I have many friends over seas that use skype.

Fring, and the like, are only applicable if they have a smart phone and won't work with those on PC/Mac desktops. So that eliminates them for over all usage.

Still waiting.

6. macrumors 6502a

To clarify, there is no such thing as a FaceTime camera. If you're talking about the iPhone 4 camera, it works with any app that supports it. As mentioned above, Skype does not yet.

7. macrumors 603

fring is a very poor quality though.

downside with skype is it will probably take them a year, just like with push notifications!

8. macrumors newbie

it shouldnt be long before skype send an update out so you can use the forward facing camera unless they are having some software issues or apple restrict it from 3rd parties

9. macrumors 603

did you see my post? took them a year to update to use push notifications. we could be waiting at least that long for them to use on phone cameras.

10. macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Can't speak to Skype, but i'm digging Facetime now that the Mac lineups have the capability too. It is so easy to connect and use. Downside is Apple users only...

Seems like a good reason to get non-Apple lovers to switch :cool:

11. ItsJustafnPhone, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

macrumors 6502a

not really, us PC people have had video chatting for decades now

skype + logitech 720p webcam + t3 internet connection on a 24' monitor >>>>> facetime novelty

12. macrumors 65816

Mliii

On the Mac, there is also video chat- iChat- which works well, but is limited to computer to computer.
    What's nice about the FaceTime Beta for the Mac is the ability to use it computer to phone or phone to computer. I use it daily and have found it to be a very useful tool for keeping in touch with those far away.