Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
No, I just use common sense when approaching marketing fluff. People seem to assume Apple writes this stuff in a vacuum and IMPLIES that their stuff always works all the time and is perfect.

Apple is confident in their products, not blind to the difficulties ALL tech faces.

As far as the thumb/screen size thing goes, its getting ridiculous how many times I have to say this. Releasing a 4.7" and/or 5.5" device in NO WAY invalidates Apple's claim that the 4" iPhone is perfect (best) for one-handed use.

Just as Apple took the whole "plastic" thing head on, I assume we'll see something like "While the 4" iPhone is perfect for those who rely on one-handed use, there are plenty who prefer to give up this ability for a larger more immersive display..." then some marketing blah blah about the iPhone 6.

See how this doesn't contradict anything? And how Apple is simply speaking truth - that a 4" display is the best for one-handed use (and that was what they focused on). Now that its clear - in their own market research - that people are willing to give that up for a larger display, they'll address it.

But hey, don't let me stop you from ripping Apple apart over ridiculous interpretations of relatively true and innocuous marketing fluff.

But intheir ad, Apple said it was "Common sense". Ie - Common sense to release a phone where your thumb can reach the top corner. Nothing mentioned about the size.

Im guessing that common sense will now be forgotten about.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Apple's services offer seamless integration with things like iMessage, Photo Streams, and other iCloud services. Photos taken on the iPhone automatically appear on your iPad or Macbook. That's how "it just works".

others do this too though

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Wait what? Since when have you been able to access Photostreams via iCloud.com? And what does iCloud.com have to do with iOS 7? (other than they changed the look to match)

Last version you could. I used to access it all the time. On the web, used to save the last 1000 images (as I recall).

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So basically its update to iOS 7 or suck it? If this is the case, Apple's software support is downright terrible and it is an obvious dick move to them still on iOS 6.

More likely, its simply a case of:

(1) They don't know whats causing the outage at this point

(2) People on iOS 7 seem to not be affected.

(3) Therefor, if you want an immediate fix, update.

I doubt there's anything nefarious going on here....but lots think Apple is some evil company so....whatev.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
My experience today.

The iPad2 had no wifi, I reconnected, and Facetime incoming calls wouldn't work. They showed incoming on the iPhone 5s, where I had wifi, and was logged in, and could pick up.

Both the iPad2 and iPhone5s are on iOS7's latest vanilla setup.

The iPad2 then force logged me out and I had to re-log and it added my recovery email as a valid contact. Which was odd. It shouldn't add it. So I had to take care of that.

After this, the iPad2 took FT calls again as usual.

I might just want to call this a coincidence though, that I had this forced log out experience on the day this issue with iOS6 seems to have come up.

Side note, though off topic: FT doesn't make it through a night, it likes battery juice.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
People still use FaceTime frequently?

Hmm

Interesting

Yep. Used it to chat with my devs twice this week, made a FT Audio call with the board (different company), my little girl chatted with her Granny today using FT. :)

I love FT Audio. My cell connection is so-so here at the World HQ, but I’ve got loads of bandwidth (and extensive WiFi), so it’s nice being able to make calls, stay mobile around the whole homestead and the call clarity is outstanding. I happen to be in a scenario where everyone involved in my two startups, friends and family are on iOS devices :cool:

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
What's the big deal with updating to iOS 7? If your device supports it update!

Yes that's exactly what I thought, just keep your device up to date! I think iPhone 4 users are extremely lucky that Apple is still supporting the device considering it's like 4 years old now.

So DON'T complain, appreciate the fact that you have an iPhone with constant software upgrade unlike the other world.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Boy do you not have a sense of humor.

UPDATE:
Btw... maybe you can help, Mr. No sense of humor... how can I access Photostreams on iCloud.com?

I do, but what you apparently think is humorous I find quite tedious. But I'm sure once the new larger iPhone is out one handed use comments will dwarf "Safari is snappier" and "it just works". :)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
But intheir ad, Apple said it was "Common sense". Ie - Common sense to release a phone where your thumb can reach the top corner. Nothing mentioned about the size.

Im guessing that common sense will now be forgotten about.

Yes - common sense for one-handed use. Apple may feel that's the way it should be, but they're willing to give the consumer what they want via what Apple sees as a "trade-off" - one handed use for a larger display.

Just because Apple thinks one way is better, doesn't mean they can't be reasonable and give those who disagree what they want.

Again - people seem to have this idea that Apple makes these "its this way or nothing" statements. The reality is, they make these statements about how they feel the ideal device should look. So far, you'd be hard pressed to knock them as they still sell the most popular smartphones in the world.

But that doesn't mean they can't go the other way if they see enough desire and they feel they can do it "right" (which remains to be seen as the larger iPhone doesn't actually exist yet).

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Yes that's exactly what I thought, just keep your device up to date! I think iPhone 4 users are extremely lucky that Apple is still supporting the device considering it's like 4 years old now.

So DON'T complain, appreciate the fact that you have an iPhone with constant software upgrade unlike the other world.

Even if that software upgrade slows your phone down and is missing features?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Last version you could. I used to access it all the time. On the web, used to save the last 1000 images (as I recall).

Based on support posts from 2011, a Photostream app has never been available on iCloud.com.

I think you must be talking about something else....

VictorWI

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Also... why is it iMessage always screws up when you roundtrip from desktop to iPhone to iPad and back? It always for me and all of iOS/OX user friends.

I do this all the time and never have an issue with iMessage.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Even if that software upgrade slows your phone down and is missing features?

As of 7.1, it doesn't.

And it still offers more features than iOS 6.....you may not get all the iOS 7 stuff, but you get what's possible....

I don't get what you're trying to say here...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I doubt there's anything nefarious going on here....but lots think Apple is some evil company so....whatev.

When it comes to software support, they are. They are the worst. I wouldn't be surprised if they had dropped Facetime services for iOS 6 users. Hopefully though you are right and this will be just a temporary problem.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011

But you can complain about their complaining?
People will always complain. Everyone has their own opinion. And mine is simply... I don't use FaceTime, so I do not care.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
When it comes to software support, they are. They are the worst. I wouldn't be surprised if they had dropped Facetime services for iOS 6 users. Hopefully though you are right and this will be just a temporary problem.

Ha....I haven't ever had a problem with Apple support - for any problem. I think its ridiculous to think they intentionally dropped the servers for iOS 6 users only....how would they even do that?

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Based on support posts from 2011, a Photostream app has never been available on iCloud.com.

I think you must be talking about something else....

Probably right... Maybe it was the Me.com era? Not sure. Still an enormous step back.

----------

He could be on about the MobileMe Gallery.

Yup... looks like this is what I remembered. Thanks for this.

Further underlines the point... Apple is terrible at the cloud. What's amazing is that Apple clearly understands one of the big appeals of the iPhone: it's ability to take great photos. It's just that when Apple tries to deal with the web.... it often does a half-a**ed job.

w00master

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Probably right... Maybe it was the Me.com era? Not sure. Still an enormous step back.

Again, like I said. Apple focuses most on their own ecosystem. While I agree they should add features to iCloud.com, as a Mac/iPad/iPhone/AppleTV owner, I have no issue accessing files, photos, music, movies etc across all devices extremely seamlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.