Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lexus, Sep 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 68000

Mar 26, 2006
    Depends Greatly On The Weather
    So how will Facetime work on the iPod Touch without phone numbers?

They haven't been very clear about it.

Can someone clarify?

2. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Jan 17, 2008
    Email addresses. Apparently it was found in one of the 4.1 betas, they're adding the ability to call someone using the email address tied to their device.
  3. macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2010
  4. macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2010
    Gatineau, PQ, Canada
    It will be over WiFi networks, not cellular networks.
  5. macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2008
    To me FaceTime isn't a big deal. To be able to do it you need either a 4th Gen iPod Touch or a iPhone 4 and since the iPod Touch only has WiFi you need to be within a local wireless network to even use it. Basically, unless you arrange it ahead of time it will be unlikely that both would be available to use it unless of course you are both at home and both have wireless networks at home.

Don't get me wrong the feature is still cool but I just don't think I'll use it that much myself. All the other features of the 4th Gen are great though.
  6. macrumors member

Aug 11, 2010

As of NOW facetime for iphone needs WIFI too

it works on 3g if you jailbreak it
  7. macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2008
    Yeah sorry about that, my post kind of sounds like I was unaware that WiFi was also required for the iPhone 4. I understand that FaceTime requires WiFi on both devices but my point still stands. It almost has to be pre-arranged to use it but this is a cool feature especially for family members who live out of the city but that is why I have my iMac. ;)
  8. macrumors member

Dec 24, 2007
    When facetime is able to call skype or skype is able to use the front facing camera will make it more universal.
  9. macrumors 6502

May 12, 2006
    would love to see skype update its software to include video chat on 4.1. HOPE HOPE HOPE
  10. macrumors 65816

Dec 13, 2009
    same here, facetime is still very niche but skype is way more popular (although there is fring, but that is only fring to fring)
  11. celticpride678

Feb 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
  12. macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Jul 3, 2010
    Here's what they say on the Apple official iPod Touch page:

It would be cool if there were a version for Mac to let iOS users communicate with non mobile people.
  13. macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2010
    I haven't used FaceTime once seeing that almost all my friends have older iPhones and the rest feel that the wifi limitation is just worthless (myself included).

I'm never going to jailbreak my phone for just one feature, so I'm just anxiously waiting for Skype to update their app to include video chat from phone to phone as well as phone to computer.

Not holding my breath though seeing that Skype takes forever to update anything.
  14. macrumors 6502

Oct 14, 2008
    How can something so innovative be so slow to respond to change?
    (Theory....they're trying to figure out how to max profits....not that I blame them)
    The tech moves so quickly it may slow down progress because everyone like skype doesn't want to give it away, if they can become billionaires if they don't
    But I could be wrong about that.