Facetime?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Brradley, Jul 3, 2010.

1. macrumors member

If facetime uses a phone number on the iPhone to connect to the other person, if 'The Steve' decides to put a camera, and facetime on the iPod, how would it be initiated, and what would the method of connection be? Especially as he said he didn't want buddy lists. :confused:

2. macrumors 68020

liamkp

Facetime is through wifi on the iPhone.

3. macrumors newbie

No one will know for sure until September.

4. macrumors 68000

elpmas

I don't think it'll come by September =(

5. macrumors regular

It will

6. thread starter macrumors member

Yes I understand this, but what would the unique identifier be on the iPod touch? For example, on the iPhone it's the mobile number. I suppose it would have to be something like a Blackberry Messenger Pin.

7. macrumors 68020

liamkp

+1
    +1
    Hmmmm... Cant think of anything, but i understand the question.

8. macrumors member

If Facetime works over Wifi, which means the Internet, then can it be used on a laptop or desktop w/ a webcam?

9. macrumors 65816

ARF900

It will. Apple wants as many people as possible to have facetime access, he said something about this at the iphone keynote.

10. macrumors 68020

liamkp

I guess it's possible.
    Plus, it's kinda tradition.

11. Guest

Surely

FaceTime is a key feature of the iPhone, meant to cause people to want to buy an iPhone instead of an iPod touch.

I don't think we'll be seeing that feature on the iPod touch. Apple works very hard to ensure that there is a noticeable separation between the touch and the iPhone.

A camera: most probably

FaceTime: highly doubtful

12. macrumors 68020

MattZani

I think the iPod Touch 4 will have a front facing camera, but no rear, and will allow facetime, how i am unsure, possibly using Apple ID.

13. thread starter macrumors member

If they wanted it to be accepted as an open-standard, surely they would want to roll this out as fast as they can, and as wide-spread on many different devices?

14. Guest

Surely

I really don't think we'll see it as an industry standard until Apple has milked it for all the sales they can on the iPhone.

Although they want it to be an industry standard, they didn't give a timeline for that, now did they? They were pretty vague about it. I think that we will eventually see it on the touch, but I'd say not for another year.

Think about this: if they are so keen to make it useable on different devices so quickly, why didn't they design FaceTime so that you can use it with a Mac? Why can't one person be on the iPhone camera and the other on a Mac's camera? I was pretty surprised (but not shocked) to see the lack of that ability.

15. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

My guess is that apple will develop an app and release it via the app store so that iPhone, iPod and iPad users can communicate when all the devices have front camera. I'm thinking maybe a dumbed down version of iChat.

16. macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

You don't need the phone app to initiate a Facetime call. You can do it through contacts, ipod could do this.

17. macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

You guys do realize the main problem is not whether apple will put two camera on the ipod touch but how you could use face time, since you must make a call first before going into face time.

Its all about the direction apple wants to take with the ipod touch-last year the ipod touch was marketed as a gaming device, Facetime is communication, I dont think Apple wants to let the ipod touch have this feature just yet.

18. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

In the keynote Steve said, "we're going to ship 10s of million of FaceTime devices this year" He didn't say "Facetime iPhones." This leads me to believe there will soon be a Facetime app for the Mac to use with iSight cameras and iPod Touches that have cameras built in.

19. macrumors 601

Maybe the wi-fi MAC address? That would be server-side of course, I can’t imagine what would be unique client-side.

20. macrumors 65816

basically the unique identifier is likely the phone number itself, but will have to query a server to make sure that both devices are an iphone, but basically they will have to release a username system for non phone devices

21. macrumors 6502a

I think it's probably because of the way they designed FaceTime. Mac to Mac video conferencing have been around for a while, and the method they use for it probably isn't ideal for mobile video calls. Apple uses the telephone number in FaceTime, and that isn't supported in iChat. I think Apple will implement it eventually, maybe in Mac OS X 10.7.

That said, I don't see it coming to the iPod touch in 2010.

22. macrumors 6502a

Slix

I'm thinking through an iChat account. But who knows? Apple will put a twist on it for sure.

23. macrumors member

ipod touches and iphones already have unique identifiers; that's how the direct iDevice to iDevice SMS apps like imessenger work.

I would assume that's how Facetime would work too.

24. macrumors regular

even if it does only have a front facing camera for facetime and no pics/video...so what?? it will be a matter of hours before a jailbreak app fixes that...

25. macrumors 68030

WiFi is not the internet. If you set up a WiFi router in your home and don't connect it to an internet source, you will still have a WiFi network (and your computers will be able to communicate with each other) but you will not have internet. You may be able to use it with iChat, but that's as far as I see it going for desktop/laptop integration.

Also, the easiest way for Apple to get Touches to link with each other for FaceTime would be Bonjour.