Facinating Absinthe article on Wired

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GorillaPaws, Oct 27, 2005.

1. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

link:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.11/absinthe.html

I have a question for some of the lawyers out there. Could absinthe be sold on Native American Reservations? I know it's not illegal to posess in the US (not like an illegal drug), but merely isn't allowed to be produced/distributed in the US per FDA. I seems like a smart person would try to get an operation going on reservations.

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Thing is that since its alcoholic it should be covered by the 21st amendment and controlled by the states only. It should be legal in a lot of the US.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've heard of this guy before. A lot of people around here know about him.

I have since had to endure tasting that stuff. A result of trying anything once.:rolleyes:

4. GorillaPaws thread starter macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I think what's going on though is that yes it does contain alcohol, but it also contains very minute (per article) amounts of thujone. But this inclusion is sufficient for the FDA to regulate/ban it, thereby bypassing the state's right to regulate this particular alcoholic beverage.

5. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I'm making some. I'm serious. I got a kit from Green Devil. Takes about three weeks total.

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

7. applebum macrumors 6502

Hey - are you sure you weren't watching the movie "Eurotrip" in one of those "dreamy" states??:p

8. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

There are different flavours of Absinthe. One bottle I had, Hill's was bitter and tasted awful, I don't know how to explain the taste other then 'warm'. Truly weird taste. Although, the other brand I've had, Rodnik's was delicious and tasted sort of like licorice.

I didn't see the 'green fairy' either, but I certainly felt different after drinking half a bottle of Absinthe then I ever did drinking any amount of other alcohol.