Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipron5er

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
I bought "factory unlocked" iphone 5 from guy on kijij. Tested it with fido sim and worked. Then with another sim from another carrier and it's not working with other sim. A company who unlocks iphones said it's locked and I will have to pay to have it unlocked. Can testing it with fido sim have caused it to be locked? Please help me understand what could be wrong. It was still sealed when he gave it to me, and came with a receipt from some small computer store where he bought it ( not apple ).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I bought "factory unlocked" iphone 5 from guy on kijij. Tested it with fido sim and worked. Then with another sim from another carrier and it's not working with other sim. A company who unlocks iphones said it's locked and I will have to pay to have it unlocked. Can testing it with fido sim have caused it to be locked? Please help me understand what could be wrong. It was still sealed when he gave it to me, and came with a receipt from some small computer store where he bought it ( not apple ).

Its not testing it that got it locked, its that the seller lied to you that got it locked.
It is not factory unlocked clearly and since it didnt have a receipt for full price from an Apple store you should have known better.
And you took a risk without even opening it up and testing it with a few sims infront of him?
It could have had a brick inside or an empty plastic sealed box.

ellardchua

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010

It was not factory unlock. when you upgrade your contract thru some dealers, like bestbuy and futureshop, their phones are canada flex, which means that it will lock to the first sim that you put in. some people advertise as unlock which is incorrect.
so now, that phone is locked to fido

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.