Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
Hello all!

In a typical noob fashion I have somehow managed to cause all my icons for files/apps/folders/drives etc to become a faded version of their former selves.

I was playing with some Applescripts to try and let me view hidden files but somewhere along the line I've used the wrong one and caused this to happen.

I don't know which one caused it, I was trying out many different options, so I can't just look at it and "do the opposite".

Any ideas as to what I've done and how to fix it?

Thanks!

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
This freeware application called TinkerTool (linked below) which lets you show and hide invisible icons might solve your problem. It is an easy to use application. If you have any questions just ask. If you don't have this application just so you know you will really like it. It is one of my favorite 3rd party system tool applications. It is great for lots of things!

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11967

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks GodBless,

It turns out the script, which effectivley does this:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

DOES work, however, Tiger doesn't like it and decides to fade all the icons.

What a PAIN in the ass this will be for me. I hope they release a fix.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
bumfilter said:
however, Tiger doesn't like it and decides to fade all the icons.

Good to hear you got a work-around but did I read that right? Tiger? Are you one of those lucky bastards who's already got a shipped copy or are you a developer?

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
Let's just say I'm not a developer and I didn't download it.

I don't want to get my local store in trouble but they are very small and very nice.

BTW: It's not an Apple store, just an equivalent over here in Ireland.

I hope there is another way to do this however because, I hate the faded icons and work with hidden files all the time. Hopefully someone will be smart and find the right solution.

jibberia

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
So... does anyone have a solution for this?? I turned off hidden files because the faded icons were driving me crazy but now I have to open the terminal all the time.

daaaaaammit I hate being so bothered by a minor detail in the face of all this awesome stuff, but... that's really annoying.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
I have what I think is a similar problem. When I switch users (without logging out) and come back, my icons and everything are faded. The only way I've found to fix it is to log out completely and log back in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.