"Fahrenheit 9/11" is out on DVD

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was trying to be responsible.

Money's been rather tight lately, and I've given up some luxuries. My cell phone, my daily paper (I've been reading it on-line), eating out, going to movies....

So when "Fahrenheit 9/11" first came out, despite my intense interest, I did not go to see it. I knew the DVD was going to be released before the election, so I made myself wait.

And it finally came out Tuesday. And I got to the store early so I could rent a copy. And I finally saw it. And.............

Wow.

By the end of the movie, I was shaking. Part in anger, part in fear at what my government has become.

Some parts made me laugh out loud. Others made tears well in my eyes.

So yeah. Wow. It's a powerful film, all right.

From some of the stuff I'd heard about it -- some of that in this very forum -- I actually expected the film to be rather disappointing. I expected to see facts that I'd read about in the mainstream media presented in a pretty biased, distorted way.

Well, Moore has a bias, all right. But it's the "bias" of an investigative reporter who's doing an expose. And if there's one thing this country needs right now, it's investigative journalism.

I know one or two people who are still fence-sitting about the election. I'm going to buy this DVD, and let them borrow it...if their minds are still open. I suggest you invite your undecided friends to a screening.

Because dammit, the fear I felt is going away...but the anger isn't. :mad:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

also have a look at Fog of War, if you haven't seen it already. i don't think your reaction will be quite as pronounced, but it's still an excellent and thought-provoking piece.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What are the special features like? I know Moore has said he left out the most appaling bits of Bush's 7 minute panic attack/ My Pet Goat reading.

Also, Moore had a few minutes of footage with Nick Berg that ended up on the cutting room floor.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And Weather Underground is out on DVD. It's not directly about war, but it's certainly relevant in today's atmosphere.

It wasn't too long ago this nation still had a few people who cared enough about it to bomb stuff.

I think Fog of War is a much more profound piece than F911. As a nation, we've unlearned an awful lot in just the past 40 years, and FoW shows just how far we've slipped.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Keep in mind that it is an editorial, and very biased. As I've said, I often roll my eyes at what Moore says (he still says he thinks OJ is innocent). But everything he presented as fact, was fact. People can call him disingenuous, and say that he's lying, but it isn't a lie. It's just that it's only part of the truth, but the relevant part. The part that makes you angry. That makes you feel you have to prove yourself for asking questions because the current administration calls you a traitor, when you are just trying to be a patriot.

It was his open letter to those who criticized his criticism, and it was very effective at doing so. Ironic that those who support this president, call this film a lie. And that he has no right to his opinion. :rolleyes:

6. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    Not tring to be mean but the fat moron that made it ONLY WANTS $$$... I know that Bush is doing what is right and that what is says is mainly not ture... Thats just my opion... I would not buy or watch it becuse it puts cash in his pocket...

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Really? You speak as from a point of fact, not opinion. Of course, it's a lot easier to make unsubstantiated (and false) claims if you do so under the blanket of "opinion."

8. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Well I surmise so... I feel that Bush is doing the right thing since he had us go to war to help others and us at the same time, but I don't want to get into that... I only said it was my opinion since I did not want to offend any one... I don't want to get into a political argument here...

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

?!?!?

then you best go back upstairs.

10. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

What are your tring to imply... My asumtion is that I already started a agrument on this topic...

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

imply? i'm implying nothing. i'm asserting that if you don't want to discuss politics, then you shouldn't be posting political things in the political forum.

what, pray tell, is so difficult to understand about that?

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He meant because this is a political forum. If you don't want to start a debate, this is the last place you want to be.

Edit: zim beat me to it.

And your argument has several flaws. If Moore cared about the money, why would he tell people to d/l it and try to get it on TV so people could watch it for free? If you knew the man, you would know he could care less about money. The other problem is that you haven't seen it. How do you know if he is lying or not? Because Fox News told you he was?

Re-read my post, I already put holes in that argument. They aren't lies, they are parts of the truth and opinions used to make a point. Just like you have an opinion, so does he. You can't call his opinion wrong, just like he can't call yours wrong. But he uses facts to back his side up. You should see the movie. He makes a lot of good points, and gets his message out very clearly.

You may not think about Bush as glowingly as you do.

13. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Well you may be right he may have wanted it to be free, but its giving it free publicity... That man is of the edge, in many ways... I know we would be in lots of truble with the terroists thinking that they can just do that with no reaction by us, and not waiting to take action was good on Bush's part... I don't claim to know everything about politics or goverment, but I do know bush is doing the right thing and Kerry is Scarry:)... But then again it makes not differnce what I think I'm only 16 and I can't vote... Just my thoughts...

14. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Further more he (fat idiot) says its "partriotic to qustion goverment"... Seems odd... Your should have fatih in your goverment not doubt, right??? And he tries to look like everyone else by wareing "normal close" but he does it to impress people and seem like hes just like us (trying to get his ideas in our minds)...

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Read some of the other political discussions.

Al Quida attacked us... not Iraq. They also have no WMDs. We've actually made things worse, pissed away our allies who were with us after we were attacked (there were English, French, German, and others in those Towers as well remember), and entered an area we should not have gone to so quickly with no exit strategy to guard their oil fields so the VPs former Co. could overcharge the American people to rebuild and sell the oil back to us at inflated prices.

And if anyone questions very unpatriotic things like the Patriot Act, which actually takes away freedoms (something our Fore-Fathers fought against BTW, giving up freedom for temporary security), they are labeled a traitor and Anti-America and Liberal and against the troops and French, and whatever hateful term they can use to single out anyone who thinks differently. These are dirty tactics and not something you do when you are the President and trying to show the world that they should be "free" like you.

Among other things. Kerry is the lesser of 2 evils.

16. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

We know they don't teach spelling at your school. Have they also stopped teaching about the history of our country and the Bill of Rights/Constitution?

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ok, this is just wrong. Re-read your history. We fought against tyranny. The Founding Fathers specifically made a government where it is not only your right, but your responsibility, to question the government if it is doing something you disagree with. That's what the Constitution is all about. Free speech, the press, etc. If you see corruption or ineptitude, as an American the best thing to do is call the administration on it. It's called constructive criticism. Like when Apple does something that pisses us off and we call them on it. It's the best way to keep them honest.

You can love your country and hate your government. That's the way the system is setup. Or does that only work when a Democrat is in the office?

18. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Well they must not have been good alies if they leave us that fast... And was Sadom doing the right thing? We saved them from his currle treatment... I feel that Ben Franklin's quote does not help in your agument... And well Bush is doing the right thing period, after all he get feed infrormation from other people... And now you should be happy now I have to agure about polictics, I do however feel there we some good demicrats, just not Kerry and if it makes any differecne, when I took a servay at y high school 74% of the people I said think Bush should be reelcted, and some of the people that liked demicrtaes said that too... Of course as I said we can not vote it does not matter what we have to say...

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wow. that's the scariest thing i've heard all year.

fyi -- this country was built on dissent, distrust of government and gov't being answerable to the people. i didn't know it was possible to sleep through that much history and social studies to miss that.

whatever happened to curiosity? you need to stop repeating what other people tell you and learn to think. seriously.

20. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Wow, your so smart makeing such acusations... I can't spell beacues I don't have time to profread everthing I do... As far as histoy I take it in school, but the one I take is not an electve I don't have to take it, its a more advanced one... Well thats about it for now...

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no, it's not.

22. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Yes, you should make sure Goverment does the right thing coman secne but not having faith is worng... I mean are we going to not have faith that god will do the right thing? I mean almost everyone want to do the right thing, well minus Kerry...

23. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Well, your so smart right... Well I shall ignor you as I just plain don't like the comments you are making about that, since there just dumb and make no sence... It plain and simple...

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

Welcome in the club of non-proofreader ;)

i haven't taken additional , or advanced, history courses in school but your "faith in government" thing seems really a bit strange..whats left from the 'critical mind'.. in my school nearly all teachers tried to give the pupils the idea of being a critical person who can drive argumentations,criticise faulty articles etc.

on topic: here in austria Fahrenheit 9/11 got a rather united (average) review: "journalistic not really important, but entertaining and a interesting view into US politics/media"..far from being euphoric or partisan...

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ok, let's see (to Macs R Us):

Our allies abandoned us because we abandoned them. Saddam was bad, but not a direct threat at the time, unlike others that were, that we ignored. Now the area is filled with worse terrorists. And Al Quida (who actually are responsible for 9/11), who we stopped hunting as much to go to Iraq, now has more fuel to add to the fire and are using our invasion to recruit more people to kill our troops who the current administration is reducing the benefits for, while more allies back out, because we still have no exit strategy.

The Franklin remark was poignant because you don't give up freedom for temporary safety. That's the complete opposite of what our society is based. That's what Hitler and Saddam do. You are in a political forum, we are going to be discussing politics. Kerry isn't great, but he isn't the bad guy Bush paints him as. And he is a much better candidate than Bush. Anyone is, really, but Kerry is the only viable one running.

Spelling is a good skill to have. I won't make fun of you, but I will say it helps your argument more if you can make a legible point. You also might want to study History and Government more. To think that being patriotic is doing whatever your country says, you need to read more about what this country has fought against. We are not a Theocracy. The people tell our government what to do, not the other way around. That's why we are allowed to vote, or protest. You can ignore the other side of the argument all you want, that doesn't make it any less valid.

What makes you think Kerry is so bad and doesn't want to do the right thing? And that Bush must be right? So far you've provided nothing but opinions, which you are welcome to, but no facts or points to back up your arguments. Not that I think Bush is bad and wants to do the wrong thing, he is just mistaken a lot, and hasn't taken any responsibility for what has happened on his watch. I'm glad you have faith, but both Kerry and Bush go to church. How did you decide Bush was Gods choice?