"Fahrenheit 9/11" Shut Out of Academy Awards Nominations

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lyle, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The Academy Awards nominations were announced today and:
    This surprised me a bit. Moore decided back in the fall not to submit the movie for the documentary category because the Academy rules forbid the airing of a documentary on television within nine months of its theatrical release -- and he was working to make that happen (i.e. get the movie shown on TV). I'm not sure which other categories it might have been eligible for, but expected him to get some kind of nod from the Academy (maybe best director?)

The movie did win best picture in the recent People's Choice awards.

2. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't invest any interest in the Academy Awards. They have always been nothing more than the industry's opportunity to congratulate themselves for doing good work (read: making piles of dough). Why a single movie-goer cares a fig newton about who gets Oscars has always mystified me.

I'm not sure I understand why Moore refused to submit his film as a documentary, but I think it was a commentary on the special, screwy rules the Academy places on films in this category. Moore doesn't really make "documentaries" anyway. He makes editorial films.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes! it is indeed important that you celebrate and participate in the politics played at the academy awards. you should celebrate any system which judges art by its meta-merits and not simply its merits. as a conservative, you should celebrate a system that sees fit to influence what people see by pre-judging what's good for them and bad for them.

you should celebrate its fascist and totalitarianistic tendencies.

you should celebrate getting your way -- others telling you what you want.

you should celebrate the world which caters to and encourages your intellectual laziness.

you should celebrate that you and your kind are winning.

now please tell me what kind of art i should enjoy. oh wait -- you've left that to others.

5. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

So do you believe that this was some kind of political statement by the Academy members (or whoever makes the nominations)? It was Moore's decision not to submit "Fahrenheit 9/11" for consideration as Best Documentary, but I don't know if he deserved (or was eligible) to be nominated for any other categories (say, Best Picture or Best Director).

6. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think it was a combination of moore being too much of a hot potato, moore not being much liked, his previous acceptance speech, and a bit of self-censorship.

however, my commentary was directed at stevietheb, who obviously is delighted that moore is being punished. more power to him and his browncoats.

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

because....

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A sham is something you hide a bed pillow in during the day. You could probably hide a couple of pillows in Michael Moore, so maybe he is a sham after all.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

To be fair, they snubbed Mel Gibson as well. Maybe they just want to stay away from controversy, although I'm sure it will just cause more. Plus, it was an editorial, not a documentary, as IJ said.

What do you wanna bet those who are criticizing him have never even seen his movies?

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

As somewhat of a movie buff, I think:

a. That I couldn't care less about the Academy Awards, for many of the reasons Zim stated, and only occasionally do they award an excellent performance either in front or behind the camera.

b. While I liked Farenheit 9/11 and felt it's release was needed to throw out some other information to a lazy public, I have never thought it was that good of a movie. I did enjoy it, but there were certainly other movies made that were considerably better. In the "documentary" category, "Corporation" was much better, as were a couple others. I actually enjoyed "farenhype 9/11" also, btw.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the only nominated documentary i saw was Supersize Me. i thought it was well done.

too bad paul giamatti didn't get a nod for his work in Sideways. or Sandra Oh, for that matter. i've liked her work for some time and am glad to see her getting such a great role.

13. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Wow a vegetarian started eating meat like crazy, and on top of that it was from mcdonalds... Not exactly the greatest way to go about it.

Other than that, his point still stands though, McDonalds = horrible, I will never feed my kids McDonalds more then once a week if that much. I prefer to cook myself anyways.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

do you taste like chicken? :)

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well, examine the movie objectively, it wasn't anything special. Really, it was not an exceptional movie. Maybe best in class for lead actor receiving most unrealistic amount of physical punishment? Best adaptation of a period that little is known about? Best ouchy face during beating?

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the linked article:

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

perusing the nominations, I do somewhat agree with:

The Incredibles (animated)
    House of Flying Daggers (cinematography)
    Enternal Sunshine...(writing [original screenplay] )

All were excellent examples in their nomination categories.

The story of the weeping camel is also nominated in the documentary category, and I rented it, so perhaps it is also worthy, as far as my humble opinion is concerned.

18. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    F9/11 - to be honest, although he made a few interesting points, it was a rather inferior documentary to his previous works (ithought the editing was choppy and the pace rather laborious) and with the contending pieces like Super-Size Me; just mho.

For my money, Eternal Sunshine has been outrageously neglected. Just the Screenplay and Actress categories does not do the film justice; it will be lucky to win either; Swank-Actress, and Aviator will be the uninspired choice from the play-safe academy.

I've got other moans but they would drift the subject way beyond the original intention of the thread. :(

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

All the nominations for The Aviator is a case in point for why I don't put any stock in the awards. This picture was good, and enjoyable to watch, but hardly great. The screenplay was only so-so, the narrative was kind of weak, and in the end, it's came off pretty much as typical, soulless Hollywood product. And Paul Giamatti not even nominated for Sideways? Case closed!

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's because Hollywood is sooooo liberal. Right? Just like we're told?