'Fahrenheit' Bows Out of Documentary Oscar Race

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MattG, Sep 8, 2004.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Gusty IMO. Speaks clearly just how important he feels that his message is.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

From an article about this in the LA Times yesterday:

An Oscar strategist for another studio who asked not to be identified criticized the move, saying "Fahrenheit 9/11" might be popular with some writers and directors who want to make a political statement, but no actors will vote for it because there are no actors in the film, likewise, the crafts unions.

"It's silly and egotistical but take the ego out of academy campaigning and what do you have left?" he said.​

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

If I were more of a conspiracy theorist I'd say that they're just managing expectations. ;)

But putting that aside, what other movies would it likely be up against if it were to get nominated for best picture? The Passion, maybe? I'm having trouble thinking of other significant movies that came out during the last year. Have we finally exhausted the Lord of the Rings trilogy? ;)

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Very true.

I remember when As Good As It Gets, one of the best movies ever made and totally dialogue driven, got passed over for best picture as the juggernaut pile of **** known as Titanic steamrolled its way through the Oscars.

The reason? Just about everybody in the Academy was somewhat connected to the payroll for the overbudget blockbuster.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What are you talking about? "Titanic" is one of the greatest comedies ever made!

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the LA Times article:
    but it'd be up for best documentary, not (just) picture, right? this shouldn't even be an issue.

i believe mr. moore made this film so bush would be voted out of office, not to get an academy award. i don't see this as pre-emptive expectation management at all.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, it won't be submitted in the documentary category. In fact I think Moore missed the deadline to submit it for consideration.