Failed HDD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deadman64, Aug 11, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Let's say the HDD on my Laptop fails, or I have to reinstall the OS and I lose everything for some reason. [Knock on wood]

After reinstalling iTunes, if I plug my iPhone back in would my iPhone basically act as a backup for all my pictures, movies, tv shows, songs, etc.??

Also, for purchased TV shows, songs, etc. what happens if I lose those files due to data loss? Can I re-download for free or what?

Thanks for your time.

2. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

No, you have to back them up separately. Apple may let you re-download if that happens but it's down to their discretion and you'll get a long lecture about backing up from them.

You should always have a current back up of everything on your machine - the only thing certain about a hard disk is if you have it long enough it will fail!

3. Moderator emeritus

sushi

:)

That much is certain.

HDs can and do fail. It is just a matter of time.

Backup, backup, backup...

4. macrumors 604

mcdj

if it happens and you don't have a backup, there's always Senuti. Don't know if it supports movies.

5. macrumors 6502a

Anyone recommend a very reliable external HDD brand??

6. macrumors 68000

You'll get as many recommendations as there are hard drives brands. Just go buy something and let Time Machine do its thing. With TM, and HDs being so cheap (cost per GB), there is no excuse for not backing up and having that peace of mind.

7. macrumors 603

The cheapest and least reliable HD is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000x's better than no backup. Backup is a must for any HD based system.

8. macrumors regular

It is probably annoying to have so many 'I agree' posts, but it cannot be said enough. Hard drives fail, and sometimes without any warning. My MacBook drive failed a couple of weeks ago, despite only being a few months old, with zero warning.

Plug in Time Machine and a few hours later you'd never know the drive had been replaced. It saved me the heart-ache of losing personal photos, the time of reinstallation and God knows how much money because all my work was on there.