Failed install?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Keiron, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Keiron macrumors newbie

I recently got ahold of a B&W G3, which I *think* has a processer upgrade, but I'm not sure (I'm primarly a linux/pc guy, but I'm never one to turn down a box that could be decent a UT2K4 server). I installed OSX 10.3 on it, with little insident, however after the first boot of it, it started having problems. First it told me I needed to reboot when I booted up, but I was able to get it to boot by holding shift on boot-up. Figuring maybe something wasn't updated, I ran the software update program, which downloaded over 100megs of updates (including one rather hefty OSX update). After it finished downloading/installing them, it "optimized" the hard drive for me, and then asked me to reboot. Not being one to cause problems, I rebooted. However, it once again wants me to reboot on boot up (doesn't even finish loading the os, just waits 15 secs then says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button"). Only the reboot button does anything at this point, even holding the power botton leaves it stuck. I have tried holding shift on boot-up, but it just locks up in the loading part. Also tried the Command+Option+P+R then wait for 4 chimes. Nothing seems to do the trick.
    Anyone have any ideas how I can turn this system into something beyond a footrest?
    Edit - Shortly after posting this, it was willing to boot after another Command+Option+P+R x 4, then shift+boot, but that still leaves me in safe mode and it seems unreliable at best. Please advise!

2. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly it. Is there any way to get access to the log so I can see what is broken, since the only way to get it to boot seems to be resetting the PRAM (and thus deleting the log)?

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You could boot into Single User Mode, but I seriously doubt that the panic.log is going to be any use. It's very cryptic. Finding the cause of a KP is a long and painful process, but I can be done.
    I'd suggest first finding out if there's an upgrade card in there. In Safe Mode, you should still be able to login and use System Profiler to find out what processor is in it. Original B&Ws came with 300/350/400/450MHz G3s. If it's anything but one of those, I'd start there as the root of the problem.
    Otherwise, pull all peripherals (except Apple Keyboard, Apple mouse, and monitor), pull out all PCI cards, pull all but essential RAM (leave 128MB minimum). Boot up and check for KPs.

In one sense, you're lucky, you get a KP immediately upon startup, this make it a little easier to track a kernel panic down as opposed to say, bad memory that only KPs when load is sufficiently high on the RAM.

4. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

Where exactly is system profiler? I can't see to locate it.
    BTW, Pats are going to win tommrow :D

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It should be in:

/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler

I certainly hope so! :)

6. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

It says
    "Machine Model: Power Macintosh G3 Series
    CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (2.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 300 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 640 MB
    Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 154"
    Was under the impression that it had an upgraded cpu, as it has 2 chips sticking about 1/2 a chip out from under the heatsink.
    I'll tinker around with the RAM later to see if that's it. Also, should I consider upgrading the heatsink on it from the fan-less hunk of alloy to a copper one, and try and overclock it (if it's even possible to overclock a mac).
    Thanks for all the help so far!

7. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck on the RAM. System had the problem with every stick of ram I threw at it, including some out of another system, that I KNOW has working RAM. Did add another 64 megs of ram to the system thou, as it was just lying around.
    Edit - Just thought of this. I am running a REALLY old mouse+keyboard combo that runs on that old properity mac-port that looks like PS/2, but is missing a few pins and had the "square" facing the wrong way. Could it be a driver issue?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah, that's called ADB (Apple Desktop Bus). It's probably not that, though, switching out the keyboard and mouse cannot hurt. Eliminate what you can. You sure there's no SCSI card in there?

BTW, you can overclock a Mac. http://www.xlr8yourmac.com has all sorts of info on doing it.

9. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

There was one when I got it. I took it out right away, as I had no use for it. It's currently sitting in a box with 4 NIC cards and a sound card.
    It has been reformatted and installed on since the card went bye bye.
    Do I happen to need it?

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

SCSI, meh

No.. It's quite often the culprit with these older Macs and kernel panics. I guess we're getting low on options here. There's only so much more hardware you can eliminate. The fact that it runs in Safe Mode is encouraging. Did you install any software after installing the OS? Or is it a plain vanilla OS (with updates)?

11. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

No software is installed, but I did install X11 from the OS CD's. Could it be the video-card? I'm running
    ATY,Rage128:

Type: display
    Bus: PCI
    Slot: J12
    VRAM (Total): 16 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x5245
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-57401-116

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 85 Hz
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Main Display: Yes

Also running a 60GB WD HD, I would assume that was an upgrade, but I can't imagin how HD could cause a problem.
    Specs on the HD are as follows
    WDC WD600BB-00BSA0:

Capacity: 55.9 GB
    Model: WDC WD600BB-00BSA0
    Revision: 12.08C12
    Serial Number: WD-WMA6S1036396
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Protocol: ATA
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal
    OS9 Drivers: Yes

Hard Drive:

Capacity: 55.9 GB
    Available: 53.85 GB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    BSD Name: disk0s6
    Mount Point: /

The last owner also added a ZIP drive, specs are
    IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI:

Model: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI
    Revision: 14.A
    Serial Number:
    Detachable Drive: No
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 1
    Socket Type: Internal

Maybe MAC's just hate me lol

12. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to double post again, but I just came across something. When I try to register it crashes as well (not the whole system, but enough to keep me from registering). Perhaps that has something to do with it.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Unplug the ZIP, definitely. Heck, I dunno. Could be the video card. Could be the hard drive. I'm running low on ideas. :(

14. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck with the zip drive. Could it be a software/driver issue, since safe mode works?

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, functional safe mode indicates (to me) that it's a kernel extension that's causing this problem. Drivers in the Mac world aren't like those of the Windows world. But it could be. You might want to reinstall OS X (erase and install), since you won't be loosing anything (but time), just to make sure we're back at square one. It's too bad this is your first foray into the world of OS X. I hope it doesn't give you a sour taste, this is atypical behavior.

At this point, we're running out of "testable" options. It could be a faulty logic board, a faulty CPU, a faulty ethernet connector, etc, etc.. You don't have any more Macs available for testing purposes, do you?

16. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

Got a "clam" ibook that I was planning on loading yellowdog onto (don't have any older copies of mac OS and I just want to use the old clunker for word processing and mp3's. Don't think that'll do the trick thou. I'll begin a format on it now.
    Considering I'm primarly a windows user, this is nothing so far for problems. Try having the first time you boot, the OS modifying the v-core (voltage regulator) of your CPU and frying it, just becouse it can. Oh the wonders of Windows ME.

17. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Odd...can you try to boot into OS 9, if installed?
    (NOTE: that isn't Classic mode I am talking about, a number of older Macs are dual-boot systems but are primarily OS X)

18. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

It only has OSX. It came with 9 on it, but the last owner REALLY screwed up the install and nothing could get it to boot into the OS without crashing. I'm currently wiping the HD completly (again) and re-installing.

19. Kirkus macrumors newbie

Keiron, I've been following your trials here and although Yellow is much more knowledeable than I am, I do have a suggestion or two. First of all let me echo Yellow's hope that this doesn't sour you to Mac.

We run 2 older BW G3s at work and have intentionally kept OS X off of them simply because of the power needed to run it. I wonder if an older (although buggier) version of OS X might not be advisable. Or even go back to OS 9.

Here's an offer you're probably not expecting. I have legal retail versions of both OS 9.0 and OS X 10.0 that I'd be willing to give you if nothing else works. I'm not using either of them on any computer so there's no legal problem (I'm a Mac junky and purchase new OSs the day they're released). If all else fails and you wanna give them a shot I'd be more than happy to let you have them.

If you don't think this would help, Yellow, tell me. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents. Don't want to lose a Mac user before he becomes one :)

20. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the offer, but I do have a copy of 10.2 sitting around that I'm going to give a try. Origionaly I was going with 10.3, as it was compatable with the Dedicated server compiles of UT2K4. But since this thing is 300mhz not 900 mhz as I was told when I got it, I can't imagin it would be a very good server with its cpu clock speed. Maybe I'll use it to replace my 233 Cyrix fileserver, it should easly be able to handle that.
    Well, I'm going to get the 10.2 install going and see how that goes. Thanks once again.

21. Keiron thread starter macrumors newbie

About 1/2 way thru the 10.2 install, the system simply died. The HD is non-responsive and the whole system does nothing on boot-up, not even it's little "Dong'ish" noise. Seems this system was not ment to be. Thanks for all the help guys.