"Failure to launch"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by APPLENEWBIE, Jan 31, 2007.

1. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

I have a cd2 iMac. Lately i will try to open an application, from the finder or the doc, and it may get a bounce... and then nothing. THe only thing that seems to fix it is rebooting (I hate rebooting). Actually have not tried anything else, because I don't know what else to try. I've never had that problem on my 2 PPC machines...Thanks for any suggestions

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Have you tried to repair permissions? You should also consider repairing your disk. Both are functions of the Disk Utility. (Repair disk requires you to reboot machine using your installation DVD)

Is it the same apps crashing, or it random?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Another common cause of this sort of problem is corrupt cache or preferences files. These can be found in (your hard drive)/Users/(your user folder)/Library/Caches and (your hard drive)/Users/(your user folder)/Library/Preferences, respectively. Replace the things in parentheses with their names on your system.

If you can narrow the cause down to a particular application, try deleting or moving its preferences and cache files. If more than one application is misbehaving, try the preferences and cache method first. If that doesn't work, the cause might be in some common file both applications share.

4. APPLENEWBIE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for info... I've been out out of town a couple days... Will try to get a better handle on what is happening...