Fair Price for a Titanium 15" PowerBook G4 800 (DVI)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Elan0204, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Titanium PowerBook G4 800 (DVI) and was thinking about selling it since I use it more as a desktop than a laptop. I'm trying to determine a fair price asking price for my PowerBook to help me decide if I want to try to sell it.

Here are the specs:
    -800 Mhz PowerPC G4 (with 1MB L3 Cache)
    -512 MB SDRAM
    -15.2" Widescreen Display (1280x854, no dead\stuck pixels)
    -40GB Hard Drive
    -32 MB of VRAM
    -Combo Drive
    -Airport Card
    -DVI out (direct connection to new cinema displays, need DVI-ADC converter for old displays)

Everything else about the PowerBook is standard. The battery is actually only one year old, as I had Apple replace it before my warranty ran out, and gets great life as I hardly use it. I also have an extra keyboard ($129), as Apple sent me a new one for the PowerBook when I thought the left Apple key was going bad. It turns out it wasn't, so now I have an extra keyboard. Cosmetically, the PowerBook is flawless. No dents, scratches, paint chips, nothing. The PowerBook came with OS 9 and OS X.1, but I have purchased both Jaguar and Panther.

The PowerBook would come with all the original CDs, cables, packaging, etc. in the original PowerBook G4 box.

EveryMac.com lists a estimated current price of $1450-$1650 (the PowerBook was $3199 + tax, new). I'm wondering if that seems accurate or not, and if not, what would be a fair price. I don't want to sell on eBay, and believe that the closed auctions only reflect what I could expect to get on eBay, not in a person to person transaction on this or another forum.

Again, at this point this whole sale is purely hypothetical, if I decide to sell my PowerBook I will list it the Marketplace. I just want advice on pricing for now.
  2. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2004
    The Alpha Quadrant
    I don't know too much about pricing used macs, but to me the prices you got from Everymac.com seem a bit high. I just bought a brand-new 14" iBook for a little less than $1500 and loaded it as far as it could go--1.25 ghz, superdrive, 60GB, AE, Bluetooth, etc, etc. I really feel like I got a better deal buying it new than buying your used tibook for the same price (Although the tibooks are *really* cool, I'll admit.) But you never know--to each man his own, maybe you'll find just the right buyer for your powerbook.
  3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2003
    Everymac.com is way too high on it's estimates usually. It appears that 800 MHz 15" Ti PowerBooks are going for around $1,100-1,200 currently on eBay. That's probably a much better guide to go by, although in many cases used Macs actually go for more (not less) on eBay than they do most other places. Of course to some people it will always be worth more or less so of course your mileage may vary...
  4. PixelGlitch macrumors newbie

May 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I sold the EXACT same Powerbook for $1450 about 5 months ago. I still even have the quick web page I made for it. I'd try to get around $1200 if I were selling it today.
  5. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    So does PixelGlitch's response seem to be the general consensus? I'd really welcome more opinions on the matter.