Fair price for iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewskyle, Oct 12, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm looking to upgrade my wife from the 3GS -> 4 and I see a lot of phones selling for $350-$400 and personally thought it was outrageous (these were also only 16GB models). Correct me if I am wrong, but these are used phones, that are now a generation old and only cost ~$600 retail when launched...over a year ago.... To me, it would be the equivalent of taking a PS3 and looking up the retail price of one at launch(~$500) and trying to sell it for $300 used when they are $199 now...Am I waaayy off base on this? Or is it price gouging so that people can buy out their ETF's? I was expecting to see $150 prices...But I see 3GS iPhone ad's for that price...
  2. macrumors regular

May 31, 2011
    If iPhone 4's indeed sold for $199 your analogy would be accurate. But they're currently selling for $550 new. And that's only 8GB. Supply and demand: if they weren't being bought at that price, people wouldn't be selling them at that price.
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2008
    This is common for apple products in general. They hold their value very well.
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2009
    iPhones hold their value. I am going to sell a 32g 3gs for practically the same price i just bought the 4s for. it is market value.

If you were savvy you would have your 3gs for sale now to get a large amount of the money you would need to buy a 4.
  5. macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2010
    I just sold my 32GB iPhone 4 which I bought at launch for $560. Granted I didn't upgrade specifically to be able to sell my phone to a T-mobile user; which until they get the iPhone will always pay premiums to get a device that their carrier doesn't offer. You just have to know your market and do some research on just how well these phones hold there value. I make on average $200 to $240 every time I upgrade.