Fair price for iPod Headphones?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by alexf, May 2, 2004.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Can anyone tell me what they think would be a fair price for a pair of new (later generation) iPod headphones? (The kind that come with the iPod, not the upgraded in-ear style)

Someone is selling them and I don't know how much my offer should be.

Are these truly high-quality headphones, or should I look elsewhere?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Are you saying you've never tried them, or looking for a head check? I think the sound quality is about comparable to most $20 in-ear's, but definitely no better. The worst thing about them is that I, and I think some other people too, find them significantly less comfortable than most other in-ear's. My last two pairs were Sony and Aiwa, both cheap ones, and they were both more comfortable.

I think the biggest values of the Apple ones versus others are the status symbol / stylistic thing :( and the fact that it has a 180 connection at the iPod instead of a 90 degree elbow, which for Apple's design works better.

But I heard Sony has white in-ear's that are much better than Apple's for about $40-50. I think the model is MDR-EX7.
  3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    They are worth about 20-25 dollars. If you check out ebay, you will see that they are going for about that price.
  4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    Didn't you get a pair with your iPod ?... Personally, I think they're awful... My ears may be different than others, but they don't fit right, they don't stay in my ear, they hurt like hell, & they fall apart... The in ear buds are only slightly better because they don't hurt as bad, but in my experience they fall apart quickly too...
  5. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Thanks for the replies...

No, I didn't get a pair with my iPod because I don't have an iPod yet, and I've never used the iPod headphones.

Someone is selling a 10 GB iPod for $150 w/out the headphones which I am hoping to buy, so I figured I would get the headphones from someone else who is selling them separately.

Yet from what everyone has written, it seems that perhaps I should look for different headphones instead... Or?
  6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Honestly, there's nothing much special about the Apple headphones except that they're white so people can tell you have an iPod. If you have any other kind of headphones you would otherwise prefer using, you're probably better off with those.

I personally wouldn't pay more than $20-25 for the Apple ones (I believe they normally go for around $30 or $40?) and then, only if they were never used.
  7. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    apple's remote kit sells for $40 and includes the headphone...

so i wouldn't pay more than $20 for them. if more than that, you might as well get the remote too.
  8. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    unless you want your headphones to match your ipod, you better of getting something else with better quality, the stock ones are acceptable, but nothing spectacular.
  9. t300 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    Buy the iPod....Go to the support section at Apple.com and email them and tell them that your headphones stopped playing on the left ear and they will send you a replacement for FREE.
  10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    That's assuming the ipod's serial number is still under warranty... otherwise, good idea :D

the white cords are indeed a sign of an iPod user, and it's always nice to use genuine Apple products. But the basic headphones do suck, they hurt your ears, if not at first they will with extended use. I understand the newer style are more comfortable, i'd go with a pair of those (need to get a pair for myself whenever i remember). But if you go for the original type, $20 is fair, and that's only if they're unused. you want the little foam pads still sealed, not icky with someone's earwax.

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
  12. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Here's an interesting story about people supposedly getting mugged because someone could tell they had an iPod:

13. jbembe macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    that's hilarious, I heard about this a bit ago...

as for the headphones, do yourself a favor and get the in ear phones from sony, I love them and they are considerably better than the stock headphones.