Fair Trade?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ColdZero, Jan 27, 2004.

1. ColdZero macrumors regular

Aug 22, 2002
    I'm thinking about trading somebody their 17" 1GHz PB with 1gb of ram and a 40gb hard drive for my PowerMac and iBook + 19" CRT. I was wondering if this was a fair trade.

The specs on both are:

Upgraded Digital Audio
    All parts new as of Aug. 2003 except logic board and case.
    Dual 1GHz G4 2MB L3 Each
    768MB Ram
    300 GB Hard Drive Space
    ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64mb
    4x SuperDrive
    PCI 802.11g Wireless Card (AE Compatible)
    Sonnettech IDE Card

iBook 800
    iBook 12"
    G3 800
    384 Ram
    30 HD
    Airport Card
    USB Bluetooth adapter

Monitor: Viewsonic PF790

I'm just wondering if I'm giving up too much or if this is about an even trade? Thanks.
  2. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
    Why would you give up a whole desktop system (a pretty good one at that) for a 200 Mhz speed boost and some RAM in a portable? That's an awful trade, in my opinion, but if you don't want/need the tower, then I guess...:cool:
  3. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2003
    St Helens, UK
    bad trade imho. dual G4s go for about $1,200-$1,400 on ebay still, and a ibook goes for 800ish,

when a sale on ebay for a 17" PB 1ghz with 11hrs left is going for a touch over $1,000 atm :)
  4. ColdZero thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 22, 2002
    What would you think a fair price for the 17" would be?
  5. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    um... really? rev. A 17" PB for $1,000?
  6. isus macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2004
    i would love to see that auction... it's probably a scam.
  7. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    I think you are giving up too much. But you have to decide what system(s) work best for your needs.

The dollar value of these are pretty close. Refurb 17" 1Ghz PBs are going for around $2200. He has the RAM maxed out so now you are at $2400 or so. Check http://www.powerbookcentral.com for price tracking.

Your PowerMac is probably worth around $1200 - $1400. Your iBook is worth around $800. So you are very close in dollar value between the two.

But for me....having a dual processor "work-horse" and then a general use laptop would be awesome. I don't think the PowerBook is going to match your PowerMac's performance.

Also, is there something that your iBook can't do while traveling that you really need? Unless you are doing video editing or some other intensive activity on the road why do you need the PB?

But again, it is up to you and what you want/need. If you are lusting after the 17" or you want to eliminate clutter you could go for it. But I wouldn't...
  8. ColdZero thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 22, 2002
    Well I'm going to be moving off campus soon and relying on my laptop more than I do now with my iBook. I wanted to get something that had more screen realestate than my iBook did. I also have a PC desktop that I do a lot on as well. For processor hungry stuff it beats the PowerMac easily, so I still have that for number crunching. I was aiming for an Aluminum 15", but the 17" may be kinda cool. I have to go to the store today and get a feeling for the size of the 17"
  9. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    I would think that ususally a 15 inch is enough, especially if you have a desktop that you will be using along with it. 17 inches is pretty big and although it has a lot of screen estate, it gives up portability. It would really depend on what you do with it but 15 is enough for most tasks. 17 would be just about right to be used to replace a desktop, with use in other places once in a while.