Faith based initiatives.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Taft, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Why am I against them? Because stuff like this can happen.

From salon.com's lead article today, talking about Rev. Sun Myung Moon, his Unification Church, and how he is getting funding under Bush's faith based initiatives.

The full article is a good read. You can get it here, but only if you're a Salon premium subscriber.

Taft

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Or course the Bush administration is giving them money, they are anti-gay, and probably anti-abortion.

They line up perfectly with Jr's ideology.

3. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

Sure, and that's the obvious connection. But what about the anti-semitism? Hell, they are even anti-rape victim.

No joke. The church believes a rape victim to be impure. Their leader Sun Myung Moon (whom they believe is the person who will lead humanity to redemption. aka Father), has been quoted as saying, "Bite out your tongue and choke on your own blood if you need to." They think it is better for a rape victim to be dead than be impure.

How this kind of rhetoric lines up with ANYONES beliefs is beyond me.

Taft

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

hahahaha, sorry, this is so friggin funny....and now I'll be able to spot Moonies when I visit them....just look for a pic of him in their bedroom ;)

And to think the Washington Times is owned by Moon :rolleyes:

D

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

It was a decent article up until he called 6 million eviscerated jews as payback.

6. Zaid macrumors 6502

The article, if you are refering to the journalism, was fine all the way through. (It wasn't the journalist calling the holocaust payback, but rather Moon).

If you are instead refering to the Moon's views then I would have to disagree. It was repugnant from the very begining.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So rape victims and gays are less deserving of compassion?

8. Inu macrumors newbie

Ouch. Well, bummer for No Sex before Marriage, if you belive it, i cant change it. Your loss.

Photograph of Moon in Bedroom: Might prevent Pregnancy if big enough *snicker*

Now it really gets ridiculous: Two nights of Woman on top sex, then, misionary style. Last thing i ever want to do is PLAN how i want to have my sex 3 Days in advance, much less let anyone tell me how i have to do it the next 3 Days. Doesnt seem to be much of a variation either. There are quite a few Positions not covered, and probably considered sinful, because they are fun. I dont think we have to discuss them in detail :)

Now to the really disgusting Part: Wiping your privates after sex with a handkerchief you are not supposed to wash. Hello Mrs. Holy Fungus!

And that was only the Part about Sex! Weee!
    I certainly dont have to go into the other Points (Rape-Victims, Jews, Gays other people he doesnt like)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I also heard just the other day where one of the rules for implementing the "faith based initiative" proposed by the Bush administration will allow religious organizations to use federal dollars for construction -- and that the new buildings will not have to be used strictly for providing social services. To me, this sounds a lot like building churches at taxpayer expense.

I'm usually not a big believer in slippery-slope theories, but this "faith based initiative" is greased with buckets of Crisco. It can't help but go down hill, and fast.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Faith based initiatives.

"We have the Holy Handkerchief, m'lord."
    "Of course! The Holy Handkerchief of Antioch!"

seriously, no good can come of this whole bush initiative.

11. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

That one is particularly bad.

Its one thing to siphen money to religious charities or religious social organizations, its quite another to allow a religion to build whatever they want with the money. This initiative keeps getting worse and worse.

Taft

12. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

no comment

I wish to remain impartial on that issue

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wow, way to lend some sympathy for rape victims.

anyone you ever know get raped? plan to remain impartial should that happen? or perhaps they asked for it?

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't the Moonie's own UPI now too? I thought that was the reason Helen Thomas resigned from that organization.

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

You wish to remain "impartial" on rape victims?

[Sarcasm]
    I guess they had it coming, eh?
    [/Sarcasm]

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

According to dictionary.com

I think you have misused the word, or if you haven't you are trying to imply that discrimination against jews is equally as repugnant as discrimination against victims of rape and gays.

Which is it?

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

actually, i don't know too much about moon

but i should put a pix of jimmy swaggart in the room

at least i know he likes to watch:eek: :p :p