fake cowboys

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 1, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i grew up in a rural/suburban area and agriculture is the #1 industry here

there are still a lot of ranchers, farmers, and california cowboys

but since the movie "urban cowboy" twenty years ago, there have been a flood of fake drugstore cowboys every year donning fake accents and huge trucks which never once see a real country road

it is a bizzare cultural phenomenon not unlike the yuppie in his huge suv which was originally designed as a short term military vehicle

whassup with that?

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, imagine my inpression whe Me! a guy from a tropical country when as an exchange student 10 years ago (that was yesterday) to spend a year in a little town in Arkansas! I saw a bunch of guy wearring those huge cowboy belts across the high school. They were the equivalent to the nerds. I saw 2 horses during that year in that town and they were propety of my host family.

As I see things, people has the need to belong to something.

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

very good observation

i guess that's why i belong to macrumors

i am a computer and mac geek;) :p :D

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

yeah. they are called "kickers" and they are the dumbest things i've ever run across. they fake like they are country. most of these guys are middle class white guys with a real need to fit in and most all have extremely bad attitudes.

these people never seem to get the truth that real cowboys arent about getting drunk, dressing up in flashy clothes, wearing expensive hats/boots, etc. real cowboys are gentlemen, have respect for others and animals, and generally wear clothes that dont attract attention and protect them from their work.

growing up in Texas...i saw alot of both. Go to a big city and you see the kickers...go to a small town and youll find one or two of the real deal. hint: if they look like they are 5 seconds away from screaming "achy breaky heart" at the top of their lungs, they are NOT a cowboy.

5. pantagruel macrumors regular

Wait, are you saying there are real cowboys!? I thought they all died a long time ago, I mean isn't country music nowadays just the lowest form of pop music today? The worst thing to happen to fashion was Madonna trying to bring back the cowgirl look, I mean it looked damn good on her, but that's were it should have stopped.

6. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Maybe I'm just a poser

I wear Wrangler jeans, western yoke shirt and drive a truck, but I don't have any cows or horses. Maybe I'm a fake cowboy. :rolleyes:

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I grew up around real cowboys. Let me tell you I hardly ever saw them where a cowboy hat. They usually where baseball caps. That do where **** kickers though. We just call them hicks around here.

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

too funny

i want to hear more great drugstore kicker stories and then email the thread to a friend of mine who ended up in kickersville, texas and seems to really hate it there

when my wife saw this lady for the first time, she asked me, "what's up with that big texas hair she has?"

i almost died laughing since she is the opposite of that hee-haw stereotype:p

i told her texas is a big state with a lot of diversity...for instance, national geographic's cover story on austin states that it has the highest percentage of college grads of any major us city

the highest gay population resides in dallas and houston, not san francisco or new york and my wife's gay friend and my gay co-worker go on and on about the nightlife and clubs in those two cities

the diversity of texas was even apparent in the civil war since their leader, sam houston, and many of its citizens fought or sided for the north while others fought for the south...as well as other states which were in the middle politically like arkansas, kentucky, west viginia, and missouri

like it's been said, brother was literally fighting brother in that war

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    well its true that most of your "cowboys" in texas are just wannabe's.

a quick test is to ask them if they know who don gay is...or red adair...most don't.

and if they're wearing fancy duds( and they're not at a rodeo)then they're most likely " all hat and no cattle ".

fact of the matter is working on a ranch or a farm is hard friggin work and most people would rather wear steel toed boots and gimme caps( massey ferguson being my favorite cap). cowboy boots don't give you much protection when a cow steps on your foot.

but don't knock the texas women...some of the prettiest and friendliest you'll ever meet. the big-hair thing is mainly found in dallas and houston...worn by the same women who think its ok to wear stirrup pants and high heels...:D

dang, now i'm getting homesick. time to break out a little jerry jeff walker.

10. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Fake Cowboys

Being a "Real" Cowboy is a state of mind, not a matter of breeding or upbringing.

Every year, as the reality of economics damages our rural partners further and further, some to the point of collapse, we find them in our urban setting, suddenly forced to become fake urbanites.

Embrace those who choose to wear cowboy hats, bowlers, turbans, and even those brandishing an Apple Logo on their baseball caps. Afterall, aren't we all here because we love Apple...

-----------------------------------
    In Germany, StrudelKopf (AppleHead) is an insult

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Fake Cowboys

having grown up in the salad bowl of the world, i know a real farmer, rancher, cowboy when i see one

it's just there are a lot of rich and upper middle class kids, parents with benzes and bmw's, and the kids dress up like cowboys and don a fake southern accent...these kids have never seen anything south except for the south of france when mommy and daddy take them to europe every summer

the thing that really bugs me about these rich kids is they won't bathe and try so hard to act tough and often get drunk and put on these really nasty attitudes

the real cowboys who i see at the ranch on the weekends can't stand these fake cowboys and the farms and ranches are being pushed aside by the rich million dollar+ houses so their kids could grow up to be rich cowboy wanna-bes and look for people smaller than them to beat up

or if they can't find anyone to terrorize, they will go out and pick a brawl with the fake yuppie bikers who often like to get drunk and act like they are the hell's angels or something

we are going thru a macho stage in america right now and it's really ridiculous

it's a trend more than anything right now:p

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Fake Cowboys

Well it's a hell of a trend it's been going on for at least 20 years.

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Fake Cowboys

twenty years ago, john travolta came out with the movie urban cowboy and it just stuck in our nation's psyche ;)

being 40 next year, i saw several trends before that, too:p

14. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

YOu know? I'm realising something... there is not actually any latin american girld married to a cowboy, just think about it. My friends hate them starting because their clothes with those things hanging from the sleeves looks so gay. I remeber that comment well.

Any way, that town when I was was crazy.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Fake cowboys are those that haven't grownup yet. I would see it as a good weekend sport, good exercise also. :)

16. big macrumors 65816

big

when the industial revolution hit here in the States, masses of Rural farm hands left the farms for two reasons.

1- a promise of a wealthier better life in the cities
    2- Farms became mechanized, so less labor was required.

Now I can almost see the same thing, with a growing population, more and more people are having to live within an urban core (which is ever out reaching due to sprawl) and many farms now become 1 acre Cul-De-Sac lots.

so go figure...its from someone's roots, they like it and feel comfortable. I remember when I lived on a farm, and was engaged to "the farmer's daughter" MAN could hse ride! (a horse) and you woudn't cross her, she could shoot a lollip out of a tree fourty feet high!

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

\

how so?:D

18. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I hear you on that! I work with Agriculture in Porter County, Indiana - just east southeast of Chicago. Everyone wants a little peice of the rural living, but they don't want to put up with tractors on the road, farmers running equipment late at night, and the "smells" of the country, not to mention 'coons, deer, moles, skunks, and mosquitoes. Then they get mad when someone builds beside them.... My suggestion- Don't buy a place for a view you don't own!

19. diorio macrumors 6502a

Sadly my own brother is a fake cowboy. He wears the full cowboy gear to school (high school). There are not many people at my school who do this, so I am frequently asked about him. He occasionally goes hunting but not often. I have asked him why he does this, but he always tells me to shut up. Weird.

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I live in Austin, Texas, and outside of Austin there are a bunch of fake cowboys, but there are some true cowboys too. I know one fake cowboy, I don't actually know him, but I know of him (he goes to my school). I bet y'all are just dying to hear about that though (not the sarcasm)... Ill shut up now :( ........

:D