Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
I remember the iPhone 5C packaging leaking in a similar fashion and everyone said it was photoshopped, turned out it wasn't!

Although this does look a bit suspect....

Charles50

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
A quick analysis of one shot using fotoforensics.com shows that most of the text blocks are photoshopped. About the only thing original on the back cover are the bar codes and logos in the bottom right.

9wNXNm1.png

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
there had better not be a 6 se. They need to leave the se moniker for the smaller screen iphone 5 size.

iphone 5, iphone 7 and iphone 7 plus is all we need... don't blur the lines and over complicate things.
[doublepost=1472059033][/doublepost]Surely, you jest.

This is real, it says iPhone 6 SE.... how else would he have the box to take a picture ?

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I know its a fake, but if the leaks are true that show it looking just like an iPhone 6/6S then iPhone 6 SE would have been a good name, but since they did not call the iPhone SE, iPhone 5 SE it would just not work and would be confusing naming wise to have iPhone SE and iPhone 6 SE. (iPhone 5 SE and iPhone 6 SE would work).

then again, Apple have messed up with product names before, new iPad instead of iPad 3 anyone?

Exactly. How confusing would the lineup be if it went: iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6SE? Having SE represent both the low and high ends makes zero sense.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Somebody in China must read MacRumors forum complaints and decided to have a bit of fun trolling us. Lols accomplished. :p

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Well fake or not, 6 SE is honest. It's what it is.
Wouldn't bother one bit if they named it the 6 SE.
Makes far more sense than iPhone 7

Calling it 6se might make sense visually, but thankfully for Tim & Co, their marketing team knows better than to make it obvious to consumers that it's a placeholder for next year's redesign. A lot of people who don't pay attention to MR and other related sites will think next year's iPhone will be called the 7s and look the same so they might as well get the "new" iPhone 7.

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
I actually don't mind the iPhone 6SE name as let's be honest, it's not the iPhone 7 - iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6SE makes sense in a weird way!

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Forget iPhone 6SE and just go straight to iPhone 7SE and realize it on the same day as the iPhablet 7's.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Playing the game of "if this was true" (which we now know it isn't), this would be a poor idea. They need to not sell the iPhone 6 on the low-end in light of recent issues, and they REALLY need to not sell the iPhone 6 Plus in light of the recent issues + Bend-gate.

The iPhone SE in its current form is superior in terms of computing power to the 6 and the 6 Plus, and shouldn't be replaced by them in the lineup.

If I were Apple, I'd keep the 5s/SE form factor around over many years and over multiple releases (like how is done with the MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, Mac mini, iPods, some iPads, etc.). It's a great form factor and the people buying it don't care that the design is from 2013 (2012 if you count the iPhone 5); they just want a phone with somewhat decent power under the hood and at a great price. So when the 7 and 7 Plus come out next year, I'd have the lineup be something like this:

-iPhone SE (in current form and unchanged)

-iPhone 6s in 16GB (or with a 32GB model to replace the 16GB model) and 64GB selling at the prices the iPhone 6 models are currently sold at

-iPhone 6s Plus in 16GB (or with a 32GB model to replace the 16GB model) and 64GB selling at the prices the iPhone 6 Plus models are currently sold at

-iPhone 7 in 32GB, 64GB and/or 128GB, and 256GB selling at the prices that the (16GB, 64GB, and 128GB) iPhone 6s are currently selling at (respectively)

-iPhone 7 Plus in 32GB, 64GB and/or 128GB, and 256GB selling at the prices that the (16GB, 64GB, and 128GB) iPhone 6s Plus are currently selling at (respectively)

Then, around March, update the iPhone SE internally, leaving the body style otherwise unchanged. Give it the same A10 that the iPhone 7 will likely have Maybe give it an updated FaceTime camera and rear cameras to keep it in line with the iPhone 7 in the same way that the current iPhone SE is in line with the iPhone 6s. Easy for Apple to do. Better for customers who either can't afford the larger phones or prefer the smaller phones. Win-win.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Calling it 6se might make sense visually, but thankfully for Tim & Co, their marketing team knows better than to make it obvious to consumers that it's a placeholder for next year's redesign. A lot of people who don't pay attention to MR and other related sites will think next year's iPhone will be called the 7s and look the same so they might as well get the "new" iPhone 7.

I kinda get what you mean, but no amount of marketing however brilliant will convince ANY consumer that this is just a 6 series. It looks exactly the same.

Too bad the 6 series is such an ugly and old fashioned looking thing, because if it was as slick as the 5, 5s , SE, or 4s, then people wouldn't mind. Really too bad it's the 6 form factor for yet another year.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why is there even this long of a article that is of a known fake box?

Why are there long articles on fake iPhone leaks and components and every other Apple product for that matter? It's real simple, it's because this a rumored website, where forum members discuss rumors.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
There is no such product.

My bad, I'm used to call it that way and I wrote 5SE instead of SE.
But it doesn't change the point, they already have a product with SE in the name so it doesn't make sense to introduce another one, even if it has a different number, after a few months.
Besides, iPhone 6SE Plus sounds bad, it is too long to spell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.