Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i can't say that i like the interface one bit. its just blah. looks like someone threw up.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Even if I thought this site was particularly legal for American users... I somehow do not feel comfortable giving them my credit card number.... Hmmm...

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Even if I thought this site was particularly legal for American users... I somehow do not feel comfortable giving them my credit card number.... Hmmm...

I somehow feel the same way. It's still a little to shady for my taste.

PlaceofDis said:
it does. but then again its not totally legit in some aspects either.

They have been doing this for awhile now. I wonder how they can get away with it.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
alexstein said:
I somehow feel the same way. It's still a little to shady for my taste.

They have been doing this for awhile now. I wonder how they can get away with it.

they get away with it because the Russian government isn't doing anything about it and allowing it to run. after all the RIAA can only extend its reach so far. but afaik, the artists and labels are not intentionally allowing this site to exist, they do not back it.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I'm actually a big fan of the website. It's clunky and awful and there are tech issues, but damn it is such a fine price. I get albums in 320kbps AAC for about $2.00. It's changed the way I listen to music. I'm buying new albums all the time and hearing all sorts of stuff I otherwise wouldn't be able to find, and their selection is to my eyes superior to iTunes. I used to be someone who only downloaded music from P2Ps and yet I really prefer the Allofmp3 for the quality.

However, there are the obvious problems. The service is legal in Canada, but I still have the knowledge that my money is obviously not going to the artists. Now, I don't particularly like supporting a company that could very likely be construed as organized crime, but I also don't like supporting large music corporations that have behaved improperly. I think it comes down to a sort of moral issue and a practical one. The music that I get from that site is FAR superior to that on the iTunes store and superior to what most people have on P2P and at a small fraction of the price of iTunes. Whether or not they're morally right, you have to hand it to the guys that run the sight. They're ballsy and entrepreneurial as hell and they keep constantly updating and improving. So I'll give them my money. Why not?

Also, as far as sketchy credit card stuff, it's really not an issue.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
supergod said:
Also, as far as sketchy credit card stuff, it's really not an issue.

Mmm, well, I'm glad that it's worked out for you so far. I'm glad to hear that this isn't connected to any sort of sketch credit card number harvesting scheme. :)

Sam*

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
UK
One thing that i can see from the screenshots that is better than the iTMS is that you can chose your bit rate..

i would so like to see this in the iTMS so i can some higher quality music:D

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Yea I use it all the time, and I'm very happy with it. Just yesterday I downloaded a lot of older tunes that I would NOT be willing to pay 99c per song for.
It is sketchy, but credit cards have liability insurance, and the site hasn't overcharged me or anything. One note: you lodge money (say, $10) on your account, and any songs you purchase comes out of that. However, due to exchange rates, it actually costs about $10.25 to lodge that $10 on your account. But since that music is incredibly cheap anyways, it's not like you're getting ripped off or anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.