Fake vs Authentic Apple Earphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rMBP13, Mar 13, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I recently lost my iphone 5 earphones in the library and I am looking to buy a new one. Apple store sells the new one for $35+tax, whereas on craigslist they're listed around $20-$25... I just want to know how can I possibly be sure that they're authentic with so many fakes out there?

2. macrumors 6502

Stay away from Craigslist and eBay. There are plenty of fakes there. Best to buy from an authorized Apple seller. Amazon has the Apple Earpods for $24.95 right now.

3. macrumors 601

Dunno man, those eBays look identical to the real thing.

Pssshhh... U serious about ur music, get something close to $100.

4. macrumors 68040

Would not buy either. The quality does not match the price.

5. macrumors 68000

TyPod

I would go this route if you are set on getting the Apple Earpods. Personally, I would try something else as you can get headphones that sound much better for around the same price.

6. macrumors 601

darricksailo

Any suggestions what kind?

7. macrumors 68000

TyPod

8. macrumors 6502

Klipsch earbuds are excellent. I tried my Apple ones once and promptly put them back in the box.

9. macrumors 6502

7thson

I dig the earpods. I'm not an audiophile and mostly listen to podcasts with them so it doesn't make sense to spend $100 on a better pair. They stay in a little better than previous ones and I even found a add on clip called the Earbudi that helps them stay in even better. I ordered a set of iphone accessories from google offers that included what claimed to be "real" Apple earpods, but they weren't. Everything looked the same, even the square box the earpods were packaged in, but didn't have the Apple logo on the back. The feel of the earpods was noticeably inferior and the volume button was noisy, unlike the real ones. They're wearing out quick and the sound quality is cheap. So yeah, beware. I learned my lesson and only buy from reputable sources now. Not sure I'd even trust the ones on Amazon. In America they are $29.95 from Apple. Where do you live that they are $35?

10. macrumors 65816

decafjava

Precisely. :cool:

11. macrumors member

I've purchased three sets of the iPhone 5 Earpod type from SW-Box for $6.37 each, and that's with free shipping. I keep one in each car and one to carry in a pocket. They are every bit as good as the genuine Apple sets at 1/5th the cost. One set arrived in 7 days, and the others took 2-3 weeks each.

12. tgi
    macrumors 65816

tgi

I second this. I bought my Klipsch Image S4i headphones a couple years ago and have been nothing but satisfied. In fact, the earpods that came with my iPhone 5 have not even been opened. There's no point in using them if I have the Klipsch S4i. The price tag might be a turn off for most though.

13. macrumors 601

Am not golden ears either but a good pairs of passive noise blocking phones... Should be on ur bucket list.

14. macrumors 68020