Faking Airtunes and Password Reset (2 questions)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by bumfilter, Aug 21, 2004.

1. bumfilter macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have two questions, if that's ok.

1. Is it possible to get a PowerMac G4 (which is networked and connected to my stereo) to "fake" itself as being an AirTunes set of speakers? It would be easier to control the powermac from my powerbook using iTunes, instead of using the web interface I use now.

2. Is there any way to stop someone who should happen to steal my computer from resetting the password from the Password Reset option when booting from the install cd? While it is handy, I'd rather not make it easy for someone who steals my computer. Some data I have is business related and I'd rather other people couldn't get it, if the computer was stolen.

Thanks if you can help!

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

2. Well if you install this:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/openfirmwarepassword.html

it will allow you to lock your Mac and stop it from booting up on any bootable media, for example the OS CD

This may not fully protect your data, FileVault might solve this (I have heard about some problems, need to research more into it)

Can't help you with your first problem but I'm sure someone else might :)

3. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much for that, exactly what I needed!

4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

As long as your using a recent version of Panther (10.3.5 is best, but 10.3.2 or later should be ok), FileVault is safe. I would DEFINITELY recommend you turn it on. It sounds like you're exactly the kind of person FileVault was designed for.

In case you haven't heard of it, you can check it out here. It basically encrypts and decrypts your home folder on the fly for you keeping unwanted people from touching your data. It is independent from resetting your computer's password.

Combined with Darwin's download, you'll be set!

5. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that, yup, I'm using FileVault but I always thought that the Password utility on the boot disk would be quite an easy way around all that security. Now it isn't!

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suppose you could connect the PowerMac's speakers to the AirPort Express and use them remotely that way, but as far as I'm aware, it's not possible to control remotely anything other than sound output through an audio cable. AirTunes wasn't designed to be VNC - I hope that isn't what you're trying to use it for.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You could install OSXVNC on the G4. There are quite a few clients you could use on the PowerBook end, I happen to like Chicken of the VNC (mostly because of the stupid name, but it works well too). That combination will let you control anything, not just iTunes.