Fall Television Shows on iTunes, including NBC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 26, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The iTunes Store is now offering content from the fall television season, including a number of free episodes from Fox.

Despite conflicting reports, NBC's new shows, including Chuck and Journeyman, have become available on iTunes. NBC's contract with iTunes expires in December and has not been renewed. As a result, NBC shows will only be available until December of this year.

Apple had originally claimed that NBC's new fall season would not be added to the iTunes Store, but it appears this is not the case.

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Maybe this is solely due to contractual obligations.

If so, I wonder why Apple wouldn't just bury the shows in their listings instead of showing "Journeyman" on the front page.

3. macrumors regular

Someone can correct me, but doesn't the season last through December?
    If I purchase a "season" is it going to be the full season or just till through the december episodes?

4. macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

The season goes into the spring (May/June), so who knows what will happen with season passes...

5. BTW
    macrumors 6502

As I've said before Apple and NBC will kiss and make-up. They are both just using the media for leverage. ;)

6. macrumors P6

Peace

Both Journeyman and Chuck are produced by other companies.Not NBC.

7. macrumors regular

Yep. And considering any NBC shows that are produced by NBC have not shown up, I think Journeyman and Chuck fall outside of this. The test will be if My Name is Earl shows up on Friday.

8. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I don't think anything's been decided about what to do about season passes that are aborted in the middle.

My understanding is that when December rolls around and there's no deal, all of NBC's back catalog will be pulled off of iTunes.

9. macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

They are even listed under the NBC category in iTunes now though. It's all very confusing

10. macrumors 6502a

Surely Heroes would have turned up by now?

11. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if nbc's decision to distribute their digital content through amazon and hulu prove unsuccessful, i'm sure they'll come back to itunes.

12. macrumors P6

Peace

Heroes is produced by NBC/Universal

13. macrumors 6502a

And premiered on Monday, so has it arrived on iTunes?

The point Im getting at is, if you're correct and these two programs mentioned in the original post aren't produced by NBC and thus are turning up on iTunes, it proves that Apple are sticking to their word and no NBC content is coming to iTunes.

14. macrumors regular

Heroes has not. My Name is Earl is the only other show on NBC not produced by NBC. (Scrubs, too, but will not premiere for another month.) If My Name is Earl shows up, I would expect that it does depend on the production company, and this isn't just NBC trying to get exposure for new shows.

15. macrumors regular

Just because NBC/Universal does not produce Journeyman or Chuck does not mean they wouldn't also control the means in which said content can be released. They have strict stipulations on how and when shows can be released on DVD and the web. This would have had to have been negotiated with the studio that produces these shows long ago and seeing as the NBC Apple tiff didn't occur "long ago" I don't feel that is the case. If the NBC Apple relationship is as sour as they want us to believe than I don't think NBC would be allowing the content to play on the site, let alone permitting the use of the NBC peacock logo and the schedule ("Watch Chuck Mondays at 8 p.m. on NBC" adorns the Chuck page). And the Season Pass availability

It just seems to me like NBC hasn't abandoned Apple quite as thoroughly as we once thought.

16. macrumors 6502a

It is a little bit the other way around. NBC had no intentions of pulling content before December but Apple came out and said "screw you!". Basically saying no content at all unless we come to an agreement, which they haven't...yet :rolleyes:

17. macrumors P6

Peace

It could very well be NBC saying "Hey.We have a contract till December.Put these up or you're in breach of the contract".Apple may have no choice.

18. macrumors member

The explanation which fits with all of the facts is that these shows are on iTunes because they are not produced by NBC. NBC-produced shows have not turned up, and Apple said they would not.

The original article really ought to be updated to at least reflect the likelihood of this scenario, rather than NBC or Apple having given in.

19. macrumors Core

MacNut

Just because the shows are not produced by NBC does not mean that they don't own the broadcast rights to the shows. The contract with Apple is all shows owned by NBC.

20. macrumors regular

Exactly. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple uses iTunes to promote the hell out of "Chuck" and "Journeyman" -- to hopefully illustrate to NBC how vital a tool iTunes can be in helping launch new shows.

21. macrumors 65816

Rot'nApple

You probably had the answer to your question within your question...

"Maybe this is solely due to contractual obligations."

22. macrumors 6502a

I think I might just download an episode of Chuck for a good laugh in NBC's face.
    Too bad I still think the shows are overpriced for me to just watch them once and never watch them again or care to own them.

23. macrumors 65816

Rot'nApple

Unfortunately, it won't do anygood for me. Out of all the NBC or otherwise named "shows" throughout this post, I have yet to see one of them.

That's not to say I haven't viewed a show produced by either/or NBC / Universal and aired on Fox or something... it's just NBC hasn't been on my viewing radar for a very long time... way longer than this iTune/NBC spat.

24. macrumors regular

Digital rights are usually retained by the production company. There was a recent contract between ABC and WB which was unique because ABC got digital rights for two years.

25. macrumors regular

Despite being aired on NBC, Journeyman is listed as "© 2007 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation"

No Heros season 2 though... I agree with the pattern. NBC produced shows are gone, but shows produced by other companies are there.