Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Linux/Unix - still using archaic command line (based on early limited ascii)

We've had this thing called X11 (or Quartz Extreme if your Unix comes from that fruit vendor) since ... well.. the 90s or 80s even. And the Command line, at least on all the Unix systems I use, are UTF-8 with support for UTF-16 if I wish. ASCII ? Heck, haven't heard of plain old 7 bit ASCII in almost 25 years, we've had Extended ASCII for quite a while...

What an uninformed post.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
This post makes no sense.

There is nothing forcing you to stay within Apple's walled garden and buy their products. No one is pointing a gun at your head and telling you to buy an iPhone 5 over a Samsung Galaxy S3. The choice is 100% yours.

If the walled garden is a massive deal to you on, say, a tablet, you have competitors to choose from. Go buy a Nexus 7 or a Microsoft Surface, no one's stopping you.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This post makes no sense.

There is nothing forcing you to stay within Apple's walled garden and buy their products. No one is pointing a gun at your head and telling you to buy an iPhone 5 over a Samsung Galaxy S3. The choice is 100% yours.

If the walled garden is a massive deal to you on, say, a tablet, you have competitors to choose from. Go buy a Nexus 7 or a Microsoft Surface, no one's stopping you.

The problem would be for people that are invested in the Apple ecosystem. People that bought peripherals that implemented Apple only technology or stored media/files in a format exclusive to Apple, using proprietary technology that isn't freely implementable elsewhere.

An OS should be just an OS, your pick of formats should always be the most open possible and the devices you use should be standards compliant at all times to prevent yourself from being locked-into a single vendor for your future needs.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
We've had this thing called X11 (or Quartz Extreme if your Unix comes from that fruit vendor) since ... well.. the 90s or 80s even. And the Command line, at least on all the Unix systems I use, are UTF-8 with support for UTF-16 if I wish. ASCII ? Heck, haven't heard of plain old 7 bit ASCII in almost 25 years, we've had Extended ASCII for quite a while...

What an uninformed post.

Unix/Linux command line remains based on the limited amount of ascii when Unix first came about. Now be a good little boy and do your history and see how much larger ascii set is these days and then you just might understand what I am talking about. Yawn at flaming on line. - So passe'

katewes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
The problem would be for people that are invested in the Apple ecosystem. People that bought peripherals that implemented Apple only technology or stored media/files in a format exclusive to Apple, using proprietary technology that isn't freely implementable elsewhere.

For me it is a lot more than just having been caught investing too much in Apple apps and hardware.

Dare I admit it, but it comes down to a singular preference to use OSX rather than Windows. Sure, Windows (7) has been much better, and don't get me started about Windows 8. I far prefer OSX.

I value beauty of design. I was at the computer store today, and from my perspective all the PC notebook computers look disgustingly ugly. It's as if PC designers have a knack for making computers look like supermarket plastic packaging containers.

So, when people say no one is holding a gun to my head, I would say there are intangibles that cause me to want to use OSX.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

An OS should be just an OS, your pick of formats should always be the most open possible and the devices you use should be standards compliant at all times to prevent yourself from being locked-into a single vendor for your future needs.

That's your fault for buying all your content from Apple then. In regards to apps it can't really be helped, but for media content it can.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Unix/Linux command line remains based on the limited amount of ascii when Unix first came about. Now be a good little boy and do your history and see how much larger ascii set is these days and then you just might understand what I am talking about. Yawn at flaming on line. - So passe'

It seems you tried to insult knightwrx in some way, but you don't actually make any sense at all. Did you vote it up yourself?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

I know exactly what you're talking here.

Its called total ****.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
It's $120 billion. Makes you sick, doesn't it?!

Why would it make you sick? It makes me more jealous than anything else. But hey, Apple earned it by making products people wanted to buy and were willing to pay a premium for.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Linux/Unix - still using archaic command line (based on early limited ascii)

Really? I'm typing this in Firefox for Linux, running on my iMac in a Virtualbox VM, Linux Mint w/KDE, a fully-developed GUI. With full Unicode support. True, there are still things that are easier to do from the CLI, but have you never opened the Terminal in OS X? The differences have become pretty small.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Again, uh ?

Code:
$ env | grep LANG
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8

That we don't use anything but characters available in the ASCII set doesn't mean it is so limited. You should really educate yourself about modern Linux/Unix systems.

And my point was that Linux/Unix is not limited to a command line to begin with either.

----------

Dare I admit it, but it comes down to a singular preference to use OSX rather than Windows.

Then you're not locked in. If the hardware doesn't fill your needs and you keep using it, based on some preference the problem is not the ecosystem. The problem is putting your preferences before your needs.

----------

Really? I'm typing this in Firefox for Linux, running on my iMac in a Virtualbox VM, Linux Mint w/KDE, a fully-developed GUI. With full Unicode support. True, there are still things that are easier to do from the CLI, but have you never opened the Terminal in OS X? The differences have become pretty small.

It's especially funny considering OS X is a Unix system. He said OS X was archaic and only used a command line limited to the 7 bit ASCII table.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010

The fact is that you as a consumer made a conscious choice to buy an Apple product.

And your idea that an OS should be just an OS sounds great on paper. But frankly, it's a terrible business model. At the end of the day, if you can't make money, you won't be in business for very long.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
The fact is that you as a consumer made a conscious choice to buy an Apple product.

And your idea that an OS should be just an OS sounds great on paper. But frankly, it's a terrible business model. At the end of the day, if you can't make money, you won't be in business for very long.

Boy that MS I just don't know how they've been in business for almost 40 years. That Linux adoption rate for big companies is pretty pathetic too :rolleyes:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

My idea has worked fine for me for years. OS X supports pretty much every standard and open format, so I can use Apple hardware and their OS and not be locked to Apple's ecosystem. I don't think you understood what I meant or you just don't know enough about what's out there.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I hear you, katewes, but I'm not feeling it as much as you, perhaps.

For example, I have a 30" Apple Cinema Display with the matte screen, and will run it until it dies, when I will buy a Dell matte screen or some other. I also have a PC, Android phone and iPhone, and I use Google and Adobe products on both Apple and non-Apple devices.

I just don't feel trapped at all at the moment. Also, Windows 7 is awesome, as much as I do like OS X... Snow Leopard, at least. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.