Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
Details are still short. But the evidence points to this being a Uplay like platform that will service all Bethesda games going forward and will likely be required even if bought through Steam.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just saw this game video over in the Insanely WoW thread and I'm impressed. What concerns me is that I'm tired of post apocalyptic wastelands and wonder why everything looks dead? Ruins don't bother me, but I'd think that 200 years later, all the trees would be in full bloom. I wonder just how big this world is?

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I just saw this game video over in the Insanely WoW thread and I'm impressed. What concerns me is that I'm tired of post apocalyptic wastelands and wonder why everything looks dead? Ruins don't bother me, but I'd think that 200 years later, all the trees would be in full bloom. I wonder just how big this world is?

Yeah, I mean looking at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it doesn't take long for nature to return. Even places like Chernobyl are green and lush. But Hollywood has the average person convinced that post-apocalyptic Earth would be barren, it's kinda why Last of Us was so different.

I am just glad that Bethesda has removed the green/brown filter on everything.

Reactions: Huntn

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
I am just glad that Bethesda has removed the green/brown filter on everything.

Guess this is bethesda being proactive for a change. Fixing this is one of the common mods to hit the mod scene for fallout.

Time will tell how much more proactive they will be. While I have an interest in this game....won't be rushing to it most likely. need the modders working their magic. As well the good ole needing console to reset missions or rez'ing vital npc's killed to bugs (code that is, not say giant fire ants lol) can lead to other temptations in the console I will freely admit. Since I am there anyway....player.additem insert code insert quantity can just roll of the fingers without a thought lol.
Less buggy...no need to hit console...call that locks keep honest people honest really I guess.

Predicting this like other bethesda offerings will have some bug issues. Ones modders fix better than they do oddly enough.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
any ideas when we are likely to see rough system requirements? still clinging to naieve hope that it will be quite scalable....

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
any ideas when we are likely to see rough system requirements? still clinging to naieve hope that it will be quite scalable....
Hard to say. Most games are graphically scalable. The question is will it be enough? As many of us know, in the past computers with less than recommended specs have been known to be able to run a game in a playable state. :) I will be buying Fallout 4 for my PC and anticipate no issues.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Hard to say. Most games are graphically scalable. The question is will it be enough? As many of us know, in the past computers with less than recommended specs have been known to be able to run a game in a playable state. :) I will be buying Fallout 4 for my PC and anticipate no issues.
well i did play fallout 3 and new vegas on my mini 2009 2ghz, so I'm used to making the best of it... :D

Reactions: Huntn

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan

will you be running mods? Base game with some things turned off should not be too bad I gather assuming not running a potato. I tbh run FO:NV in a parallels virtual little to no issues. Windows mode, not at higher settings graphics wise.

I find with FO series games or skyrim (Bethesda in general really) its when you tack on the mods that do graphics things get complicated sometimes. Case of my parallels FO:NV I just run bug fix mods...don't want to tax the virtual gerbils in the wheels working too much lol.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
will you be running mods? Base game with some things turned off should not be too bad I gather assuming not running a potato. I tbh run FO:NV in a parallels virtual little to no issues. Windows mode, not at higher settings graphics wise.

I find with FO series games or skyrim (Bethesda in general really) its when you tack on the mods that do graphics things get complicated sometimes. Case of my parallels FO:NV I just run bug fix mods...don't want to tax the virtual gerbils in the wheels working too much lol.

no, no mods for me, and its the storyline that grabs me so massive framerates at high level graphics not so important.

im on a 2011 imac 27'' 3.1ghz with a 1 gig card.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
One thing that's interesting in FO4 is the building. The only thing is that it looks like you are building a glorified shack (from The E3 video). I wonder if there is a system of improvement? And I assume you can build fortifications, besides sentry units.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Just started Fallout 3 (And loving it).

What are the chances I get through FO3 and NV before November :-/

If not a 100% completionist or need to see everything....yes you could possibly do it.

For FO:NV you get several endings. Basically you get a few endings that play out based mission choices midway to later in game.

To save time and if not a 1 save 1 game purist you can at a certain point make one save and then work these paths after that on separate saves to see ending selections a bit faster. Trying not to risk spoiling it so will say this save point to keep as an "archive" should be clear when to do so.

FO3 has a few endings as well. Been a while since I fired that up so cannot say how easy to do the 1 "archive" game save tbh.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
A bit off topic but if I wanted to install windows on my mac and play Fallout Vegas/3, would it be able to do it (it's a 2014 MBPR 13")? And would it be able to handle mods on top of that (the biggest reason for me to care as I already have the games on console. Well cept Vegas runs like crap on both the PS3 and 360 in my experience).

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Boo
A bit off topic but if I wanted to install windows on my mac and play Fallout Vegas/3, would it be able to do it (it's a 2014 MBPR 13")? And would it be able to handle mods on top of that (the biggest reason for me to care as I already have the games on console. Well cept Vegas runs like crap on both the PS3 and 360 in my experience).

Bootcamp or parallels?

I run parallels on the old MBP (15" late 11) and have run a few mods okay. Not overboard on graphics or max res for sure though.

Lots of cores assigned and lots of RAM helps as with any virtualization.

Haven't done bootcamp....yet. Got an early 2015 15" yesterday and may bootcamp that one. Still in process of building up so that I won't test for a bit. Not using the backups of old laptop to speed things up. the new MBP I am avoiding the bloat I had in the old as it were.

Reactions: tigress666

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

would imagine so, i played all of both fallout 3 and new vegas on a 2009 mac mini, core2duo 2ghz

Reactions: tigress666

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
In FO3 the endings weren't that different. It's been a long time since I played it, so maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but I would just check YouTube for the other endings. I think you had to play as good, bad, and neutral to get different endings, and the neutral one was the harder one to maintain.

Last edited:

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Boo

Bootcamp or parallels?

I run parallels on the old MBP (15" late 11) and have run a few mods okay. Not overboard on graphics or max res for sure though.

Lots of cores assigned and lots of RAM helps as with any virtualization.

Haven't done bootcamp....yet. Got an early 2015 15" yesterday and may bootcamp that one. Still in process of building up so that I won't test for a bit. Not using the backups of old laptop to speed things up. the new MBP I am avoiding the bloat I had in the old as it were.

Haven't even thought of which. Just wondering if my computer can do it. It's got the max amount of ram you could get with this model (16 gbs) so RAM shouldn't be a problem.

I think I was thinking bootcamp though honestly, if parallels was easier to set up and could do it fine I'd consider that. Actually, what I'd really like is to be able to run it from a different hard drive if I'm going to do bootcamp just cause it's not like these things come with big hard drives :/. I know that's introducing another area where there could be slow down (would it still be possible) but external hard drives are cheap and the hard drive in this thing I'm not even sure you can replace anymore (I know last I checked they only had a kit for the previous model macbook).

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Haven't even thought of which. Just wondering if my computer can do it. It's got the max amount of ram you could get with this model (16 gbs) so RAM shouldn't be a problem.

I think I was thinking bootcamp though honestly, if parallels was easier to set up and could do it fine I'd consider that. Actually, what I'd really like is to be able to run it from a different hard drive if I'm going to do bootcamp just cause it's not like these things come with big hard drives :/. I know that's introducing another area where there could be slow down (would it still be possible) but external hard drives are cheap and the hard drive in this thing I'm not even sure you can replace anymore (I know last I checked they only had a kit for the previous model macbook).

Does'nt Parralels by virtue of the MacOS running simotaneously use up extra resources than a Bootcamp implementation?

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Does'nt Parralels by virtue of the MacOS running simotaneously use up extra resources than a Bootcamp implementation?

Yes it does. My case its a matter of convenience over performance. I run it windowed mode and can do other things in background in mac os. I like to multitask a lot.

May try bootcamp soon on the new MBP once I get settled into it.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006

THis may halp

As has been said, it does but this may assist in squeezing a little extra from it...............

alanrocks

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
United Kingdom
I hate to say it but I've never played any of the Fallout games before (please forgive me) but this looks pretty epic!

Do you think that you can just pickup on this Fallout or is it recommended that you start from the first in the series?

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I hate to say it but I've never played any of the Fallout games before (please forgive me) but this looks pretty epic!

Do you think that you can just pickup on this Fallout or is it recommended that you start from the first in the series?

You can dive in anywhere to be honest, some peoples OCD may tell them to start from 1 but there is no need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.