Fallout

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey guys,
    I just noticed fallout 1 and 2 are at the bargain bin at my store(6.99 each) and Ive heard good things about these games so Im thinking about picking them up. Can anyone give me an opinion on these games, I know the graphics are dated but thats alright. If anyone didnt enjoy these games can you please tell me why.
    Thanks
    Patmian212

2. Jimmery macrumors member

Fallout 2 is one of the few (~3 or 4?) computer games I've played, but I found it was lots of fun--enough to repeat about 2 or 3 times. A great story that becomes really fun to go through...

3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I picked up both myself a couple of days ago and have just started playing them. First impressions are definitely good - they seem to be fairly standard RPGs in terms of game mechanics, but the story is excellent. Having a quick search around the forums shows that plenty of people have lots of positive things to say about these games.

6.99 seems a good price - I'd go for it. :)

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Fallout 1 and 2 are two of the best rpg games made. Unfortunately, they fell into obscurity except for cult fans.

5. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

!!! What store is this ?!?!?

6. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Local store in spain, sorry:(

7. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Fallout and Fallout 2 are based on an old-school post-apocalyptic RPG called Wasteland... one of the greatest RPG's of all time. You can find a bunch of Wasteland easter eggs in both Fallout 1 and 2 (Red Ryder B.B. gun with compass in the stock, etc.).

Do a search for Wasteland and you can usually find a free copy online (some debate to this whether or not it's abandoware)... the best graphics however are in the IBM-PC version (find a DOS emulator for Mac).

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Not as good as the original they were based off though - Wasteland. Now that is one of the best RPGs ever made.

As for the Fallout games themselves, they are definitely very good - I would recommend picking them up. I'd play Wasteland though in a heartbeat if I had to pick from the 3. One of my favorite games of all time. :cool:

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

They can't have become that obscure if Fallout 3 is in production (which it is).

--Eric

11. The Red Wolf macrumors regular

The Red Wolf

Fallout 1 and 2

Honestly one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Both games have their place. The graphics are dated but pleasing. Set an SMG to burst mode at point blank and you'll know what I mean. Love the games, can't wait for Fallout 3.

~The Red Wolf~

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good to hear - although I woudl personally love a remake of Wasteland. ;) :cool:

I'll definitely give Fallout 3 a look though. :)

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It's not made by the original team however...it's being made by the Morrowind folks, so who knows what will happen....

--Eric

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah, good to know, I had no idea. Thanks for this, I'll keep that in mind... ;)