Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
And that's why it'll never happen to you.

BJ

I think what really happened you walked into the lounge, bee-lined it to the most crowded area, and tried to strike up conversations with people about how cool your new expensive gadget it. They rolled their eyes and humored you politely, until it was time to board.

I've been approached by people like this before. "Hey check out this watch I just got, it's made from a proprietary aircraft steel infused with carbon gold. It cost me $30,000!" "Wow that sure is a high price for a watch" "Yea it is. Want to try it on?" "Sure" "Looks nice, right?" "It does indeed look nice." "It's a limited edition, so you can't really just buy it right now." "Oh well, that's good I guess." "Haha yea, I have money." "I think I just heard them call my flight, have a safe flight home."

Also, I was in Logan airport the other day and saw a few new Macbooks (among the dozens and dozens of Pros and Airs) in the general waiting areas around the Jet Blue terminal. Nobody cared.

Reactions: navaira

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
And that's why it'll never happen to you.

BJ

Also, it'll never happen to me because I don't want strangers swooning over my material possessions. I prefer to go with the "stealth wealth" approach. The less everyone around me knows the better it is for me.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
BJ, if you're the EVP of a consumer electronics company name it. You defend the rMB zealously offering information as if you have facts instead of simply your opinion.

You make statements about Apple's thought processes or plans as if you're in the know yet present no evidence to support it.

Considering Apples past actions, we could see an update next April. If the new chip set support 2 USB-C, I would look to Apple adding a port as it makes sense to do so. I would also expect improvements to the keyboard and camera. New WIFI chips if appropriate. More memory.

All speculation I admit. You dont know anything more than the rest of us.

The horse has been beat to death.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I'm getting really itchy over a Skylake rMB, this board is becoming eerily quiet. A lot of us are just waiting for any Skylake announcement, it's looking like we'll be waiting another few months. This is a thread for clearly fabricated rumors (even by yourself) as a kind of therapy in the meantime.

I'll start with something I "read" recently:

The 2016 hardware refresh for the MacBook should resolve the hardware design issues. I wouldn't want to be in possession of a retina MacBook right now as their value will plummet shortly.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
The 2016 hardware refresh for the MacBook should resolve the hardware design issues. I wouldn't want to be in possession of a retina MacBook right now as their value will plummet shortly.

VTech-Brilliant-Creations-Beginners-Laptop--pTRU1-10834834dt.jpg

Don't worry about us, we can afford it. It's the MacBook Air owners who have a big problem right how with their blurry V-Tech screens and their Leapfrog bezels.

BJ

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
VTech-Brilliant-Creations-Beginners-Laptop--pTRU1-10834834dt.jpg

Don't worry about us, we can afford it. It's the MacBook Air owners who have a big problem right how with their blurry V-Tech screens and their Leapfrog bezels.

BJ

Your right I'll just gift my rMB to family and get the next one besides according to TC all our laptops are devalued as we should be getting the Ipad Pro as “No really, why would you buy one?” :D

Reactions: boltjames

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Hey folks, if it's not obvious by now, boltjames is a troll. It's a character he has created, and it admittedly can be kind of amusing in some ways as any well crafted character is... at least the first couple of times. He's extremely good at it precisely because he can be witty and entertaining and occasionally throw out a well-worn insight. But it also derails every thread he participates in.

He's got the same MO in dozens of threads (and other forums for that matter). Make the same unsubstantiated claims and offers ridiculous opinions about whatever just to stir things up, and ultimately the thread always devolves into talking about his lifestyle and interests in various material goods like watches, cars & boats, credit cards, "women", etc. His goal is to make the thread center around him. That's what trolls do.

The best way to deal with trolls (other than moderators dealing with them directly) is to ignore them... they eventually get bored and go away if they don't get the attention they seek.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
Be interesting to see if they go with a 14" or 15" rmb. Then they will have the room to add an extra port, improved camera etc. It's the next version of the 12" I'm interested in seeing though. And niche product or not you can bet it's going to get an update. :)

Last edited:

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Sometimes I drive my $60,000 BMW past bus stops in sketchy neighborhoods. Sometimes I glance at the pool attendant during my $15,000 vacation in the Caribbean. Sometimes when I'm watching my daughter at a ballet recital at a school that my $50,000 a year in taxes helps fund I see the janitor and think what his life must be like.
I would totally make this my signature if it was shorter.

Reactions: boltjames

Sander25

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
Hey folks, if it's not obvious by now, boltjames is a troll. It's a character he has created, and it admittedly can be kind of amusing in some ways as any well crafted character is... at least the first couple of times. He's extremely good at it precisely because he can be witty and entertaining and occasionally throw out a well-worn insight. But it also derails every thread he participates in.

He's got the same MO in dozens of threads (and other forums for that matter). Make the same unsubstantiated claims and offers ridiculous opinions about whatever just to stir things up, and ultimately the thread always devolves into talking about his lifestyle and interests in various material goods like watches, cars & boats, credit cards, "women", etc. His goal is to make the thread center around him. That's what trolls do.

The best way to deal with trolls (other than moderators dealing with them directly) is to ignore them... they eventually get bored and go away if they don't get the attention they seek.

You can also see from various forums that his amazing wealth is limited to leasing entry level BMWs, traveling in Premium Economy a few times a year, collecting frequent flier miles like most "wannabes". All from the global business hub New Hampshire. But it is amuzing and entertaining.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
You can also see from various forums that his amazing wealth is limited to leasing entry level BMWs, traveling in Premium Economy a few times a year, collecting frequent flier miles like most "wannabes". All from the global business hub New Hampshire. But it is amuzing and entertaining.

I post this not to defend myself but rather to educate those in need.

The wealthy get wealthy and stay that way, in large part, by deciding when not to spend money. If I needed more than a $60,000 BMW I'd own one. We occasionally fly PE because that's what we decided was best for all employees to ensure strong earnings. But since you're prying, ask me about my investment portfolio. Ask me about my primary home and my beach house. Ask me about our multiple international vacations. Ask me about my planned early retirement. "Wealth" is really defined as having a healthy family, spending all the time you can with them, and ensuring that they are financially set for a generation. That's where my money goes. Yours should too.

BJ

seamor0512

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2015
Why do you seem to think anyone here wants or needs your advice? I've checked numerous threads on information for the RMB because I'm considering replacing my pro soon and almost every one with good information has been hijacked by your desire to show off your (likely) fake possessions. Why are the moderators allowing you to troll?

PS a retina MacBook is not a luxury item. The fact you believe it to be is a joke in itself. It's not the Rolex of computers no matter how often you type that it is on a Mac forum. It's just another 1200-1600 dollar laptop that will be obsolete in a few months. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Why do you seem to think anyone here wants or needs your advice?

It's a discussion forum, it's a place for opinions. If you want to speak your mind without others challenging you I suggest Twitter. This thread is entitled "The Fake RMB Rumor Thread" and by design it's obviously full of speculation, most of it humorous. I believe strongly that it's too soon for Apple to update the RMB in the Spring, Skylake or no Skylake, and I've made a good argument. If that encourages some to take the plunge in November instead of waiting until June that's a good thing, not a bad thing. Technology changes all the time. It's fluid.

If you want good advice about RMB ownership, particularly as it relates to the perspective of a business traveler, form factor, USB-C connectivity, and Windows 10 I think you'll find I've consistently provided very good advice that reciprocates the very good advice I have myself have gotten from the community during my purchase process. Feel free to ask, I'll be more than happy to answer.

BJ

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Hey folks, if it's not obvious by now, boltjames is a troll.

The character has previously trolled different BMW-forums as well. At least their moderators banned the guy. Now he's been residing here at MR where no moderators seem to give a damn. It's a shame really. I really like the MacBook and I am thinking of picking one up. Still, I hardly frequent this part of the forums just because every thread in this section turns into a Boltjames bragfest.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
The character has previously trolled different BMW-forums as well. At least their moderators banned the guy. Now he's been residing here at MR where no moderators seem to give a damn. It's a shame really. I really like the MacBook and I am thinking of picking one up. Still, I hardly frequent this part of the forums just because every thread in this section turns into a Boltjames bragfest.

Why would you troll a BMW forum? I don't get the mentality that would draw you to do it. Is the standard poster over there a BMW owner as opposed to a BMW leaser like boltj is?

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Why would you troll a BMW forum? I don't get the mentality that would draw you to do it. Is the standard poster over there a BMW owner as opposed to a BMW leaser like boltj is?

Basically, Boltjames tried to characterize the worst possible stereotypical BMW-douchebag. What he doesn't realize is that most of those douchebags have moved on to Audi's. Not easy for him to follow and keep up with all the "trendsetters" he tries to associate himself with. Life as a number 2 I guess! ;)

It really sucks for those of us on here who tend to follow different brands for the products they make, rather than the image they bring. I for one used to love BMW as they were the true drivers car, rear-wheel drive and 6-cylinder engines and all (not anymore I'm afraid). But then again, I buy the products I do for myself, not for anybody else. Just as I have been a follower of Apple since 2004, back when having an Apple-computer was weird. But then again, I couldn't have cared less.

jovi.jia

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
『It is very good to be a second computer, so it is designed to be a second computer, a niche product』
『Its price is high, common people don't buy, so it is a luxury product』
Many subtle concepts mislead this thread to another totally different topic, as after half a year from it was openly sold, still controversial. I think this as the proof that this is really a product with many compromises. Trade off among performance, form factor, energy consumption ...... and the PRICE. But nothing show that it is aimed at a niche market or be a luxury product.
The Kano model explains every aspect of rMB.it is basically a computing tool but with more Excitement features, so the price is relatively high. It is all. People pay for shiny look with enough performance and want to improve self status, look it as a luxury gadget; people pay for a tool but with nice look, also think the money is worthy of.

If rMB is truly be end after only one generation, it is really pity! But I am also interested in what next will be, even excited to see which features meet my expectations, and which disappoint me.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

PittAir

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008

I figured as much. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.