Famed attorney Johnnie Cochran is dead at 67

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wdlove, Mar 29, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

67 is pretty young. Wow. Too bad, he was a great attorney.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Looks like wdlove beat me to the punch on this news by a minute.

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Lets hope OJ stays out of trouble because there is know body left to keep him out of jail. :rolleyes:

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

for a high profile attorney with huge cases, i say he lived quite a long life

high stress can kill a person early...and in his generation, he lived above the average life expectancy for a man

i don't feel sorry for him since i think he accomplished a lot in his life and unlike most of us here, he made himself a household name and one of the people considered to be experts in his field

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

While he was a great lawyer I think he was even better at finding loopholes in a prosecution's case.

8. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Apparently he had been sick for a lengthy period. He was suffering from a brain tumor. At least dying at home, he had his family with him. Had the ability to in his own surroundings and in comfort.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

That's what a great lawer does. The very foundation of our legal system is based on the precept that everyone deserves due process under the law. People try to sum Cochran Jr's career down to one case, OJ but the fact is Cochran Jr was a member of a Dream Team of legal counsel.

The man was an amazing litigator and scholar of Law. It's a sad loss for me. You'll see a few few folks with double digit IQs come in with snide comments and invective but we all deserve the best legal counsel we can get. Rest in Peace JC.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well that's two big famed OJ lawyers out of the business, F Lee Bailey was disbarred years ago and now another one is down.

I even think Robert Shapiro ran into some problems...

Can't say the bad karma from working the case wasn't well deserved.

But F Lee Bailey's superior stupidity he showed with the $6 million in client money was well deserved, though he's been fighting the past few months to regain his law license.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

F Lee Bailey was old and washed up even before joining the case. He was a "name". Shapiro has done fine and Barry Scheck is simply Barry Sheck. Trying to pin the OJ acquittal on JC Jr is a bit odd to me. Sure he got the cool one-liners but this was a team effort.

It's easy to understand why JC was a great attorney. He lost the Geronimo Pratt case despite evidence that came out post trial that may have exonerated his client. Pratt still remains in jail to this day. That's a stark reminder of why you must fight as hard as you can as an attorney.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Actually it was said in a piece on the Today show, that he knew how to appeal the the basic instincts and feelings of the jury in explaining his side of the case.

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I can only think of two clients this guy's had and both of them were transparently guilty.

I wonder how long he's had the tumor? Could any of those cases be revisited as a result?

Most importantly: Is satan happy to have one of his best pupils home at last.

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

how do you know this? In both cases there is significant information that opens the door to potential foul play by law enforcement. For those that don't know what we're talking about Johnny represented a Black Panther named Geronimo Pratt when he was younger. Pratt was no angel but evidence suggests that he was setup by the FBI on a bogus murder charge.

Could OJ and Pratt be guilty? Yes but they could also be innocent. No one will stake more than their opinion on this case.

Come on man stop with the hyperbole and low class statements. 12 jurors decided the case not JC Jr.

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Geronimo Pratt was not the other client I had in mind. Interesting that you'd choose the 'Panther though.

As I recall (and I have been known to have the occasional brainfart) his other well known client was the Smooth Criminal himself.

In the case of OJ simpson: Cochrine played Ito like a flute. Though Ito was more than willing to cut vast quantities of forensic evidence before the trial even began due to it's "inflamitory" (gruesome) nature. This was as much infernal (there's your satan reference BTW) luck as skill. Therefore, in a real sense Ito ended the prosecution's case before it ever had a chance. Furthermore those twelve jurors were pretty thoroughly compromised by societal pressures heightened by the Rodney King footage/roits.

In the case of Michael Jackson: If that dude isn't one of the most obviously deranged and certainly potentially dangerous individuals you've ever seen perhaps you live in a more interesting city than I.

The thing that really offends me about this guy is his repeated choices to defend high profile african americans pretty much solely on the race card. It was extremely effective but really damn low. In at least the OJ case the issue of racial persecution on the part of LAPD stemmed from ONE locker room comment between the officer in question and his african american partner. It was one of those "Gee, maybe I should just shut the hell up." moments that was a perfectly obvious slip to all of the several officers present.

Please note that I am not inferring a total lack of racism in the LAPD or any other agency, I am pointing out that making a career of using the:
    "My client is not on trial for (take your pick), but for being black." defence is an injustice to the legal system, manipulates jurors and is detrimental to the cause of equal protection and racial justice.

I refuse to see Nixon, Reagan, Cochrine or any other dead celebrity through rose coloured glasses simply because they're dead. Nixon and Reagan participated in defrauding their own country as well as supporting crimes against Humanity. Cochrine defended two clients in full view of the international press by suppressing evidence, defaming public servants, cowing jurors and wrapping himself in the proverbial flag of racial justice. All three of them sickened me by cheapening all they claimed to champion.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ditto. I know the jury made the actual decision, but Cochran's the one you always hear being credited as the reason Orenthal is still walking around free. So I can't get too worked up about his passing. Maybe I'm being unfair. Whatever.

18. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Cochrane was just doing what he was paid to do and he did it very well. If you're going to blame anyone, blame the American legal system. Blame the judicial system. Don't blame a person because he exonerated someone based on the assumption of innocence until proven guilty. Save your judgment, you weren't in the courtroom during the trial, you have no authority to cast aspersions on a suspect or his defense attorney.

Save the rhetoric and opinionated slurs for someone who cares. :rolleyes:

19. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Macmischief.

Well looks like you call'em like you see'em. That's fair and consistent.

I think Cochran had to face what many black attorney's face if they wish to try criminal cases.

I'll preface his plight by comparing the scenario with Malcom X.

When Malcom was a young student he was tops in his class. His teacher asked the students what they wanted to be when they grew up. When Malcom's turn came up he said "I want to be a lawyer". The teacher rebuffed him and suggested that perhaps he should be a carpenter or another labor trade. His explanation was that as a black attorney neither whites nor blacks would hire him.

As a black attorney Cochran was faced with intense competition from both sides. Affluent whites have endless options for excellent legal counsel. Affluent blacks are a crapshoot. Some feel it's necessary to have a white lawyer to increase their chances of success. I'm assuming that they feel like "my butts on the line I'm going to go with whoever can get a win" I'm not sure Cochran met many people that felt that was him despite his reputation as an above average litigator. The Race Card exists because its still valid. I wish it didn't have to be that way.

All the best man.

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

A black lawyer who understand that, in America at least, racist is still alive and kicking, and guides how everyone behaves. Good and bad.

If you were a taxi driver, would YOU be more willing to pick up a white person than a black person?

Have you ever thought the other way around? How likely do you think a white person would hire a black lawyer to represent him/her?

With that said, how likely do think a black suspect will hire a white lawyer to defend him/her, when they can hire an equally competent black lawyer.

21. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Who do I blame for the OJ debacle? Not Cochrane. You are correct, he was doing his job. I blame Ito. He was too damn squeamish to allow photos, testimony and forensic evidence that was the backbone of the case.

My point, assuming you read the whole post is that I have very little respect for an attourney who uses something as profound as racism as a standard defence technique. My hat's certainly off to him as a skilled attourney... I just take extreme exception to using something so serious regularly and in place of other defence techniques.

This is the same basic technique of defacto entrapment that we frown on in police: "So when was the last time you beat your wife?"

When you ask a whitness (essentially) "How long have you hated successful black men?" it's dishonorable, abusive and cheapens the cause.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And what exactly does his degree of derangement have to do with his guilt or innocence?

A defendent deserves the best representation possible. So does the prosecution. It's not Cochran's fault the state sometimes comes forward with inadequate lawyers and lets guilty men go free.

If you want to be sickened, direct it toward the ineptitude of his opponents.

23. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Gut feeling. I feel that if Neverland is ever surveyed and excavated it'll make all previous US mass murders look like picnics.

Agreed.

Honorable ineptitude is less offensive to me than dishonorable alacrity.