Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
If the new interface looks better with reduced brightness, it's possible Apple designed it that way. Lowering screen brightness extends battery life, so designing the interface to look good at reduced brightness levels would be a pretty smart thing to do.

That's something I considered, and makes sense. Yet even less than half the brightness it's still indiscernible in many area's. I let my mother use it, she's in her late 60's and has an iPhone. She had some difficulty, this could prove problematic for certain age demographics.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
A huckster? Jobs's talent was in putting together teams of "A Players" and driving them to excell that their highest possible level. He had a amazing artistic sense for a non-artist, and his intuitive understanding of technology was rivaled by none. Yes, he made a crap-ton of money, but he was about much more than that.

In any event, other CEOs have probably surpassed Jobs when it comes to making a buck. Carnegi and JP Morgan come to mind. Today's oil companies can turn a buck in their sleep. And for most of Apple's history, making money was pretty much the opposite of what they were associated with, even with Jobs at the helm. Apple was plenty awesome then - perhaps even moreso than now.

I find it interesting that Jobs would always find true creative geniuses like Wozniak, Tevanian, and Lasseter, and use his social skills and marketing savvy to help them achieve greatness. Often he stuck with these people through business failures before finding success, which shows an incredible ability to judge the potetial of others. I believe Jobs was about as far from a huckster as one could be.

I stand by what I said:

"nobody knew how to take money out of the pockets of regular people and send it to the Hedge Funds like Steve Jobs. He was masterful at selling hunks of plastic and copper, for huge prices, to people who thought that shelling out dollars made them cool. "

The things you mention, while true, were mere methods leading towards the real goal: making money.

Woz wanted to make a cool computer. Jobs wanted to sell it.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I think some of the icons are a head fake. They'll be changed at the last minute so that all the new icons on Touch Wiz will look like the older ones. I'm sure a new internal memo is going out at Samsung and the photocopiers are set on turbo...

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I stand by what I said:

"nobody knew how to take money out of the pockets of regular people and send it to the Hedge Funds like Steve Jobs. He was masterful at selling hunks of plastic and copper, for huge prices, to people who thought that shelling out dollars made them cool. "

The things you mention, while true, were mere methods leading towards the real goal: making money.

Woz wanted to make a cool computer. Jobs wanted to sell it.

No doubt he wanted to make money. I just took issue with him being characterized as a huckster, who by definition sells things of questionable value. Nothing could be further from the truth regarding Jobs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.