Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedSunshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I have little-to-no real experience with how iTunes and Apple Id's work. I really need some help and the more I read, the more confused I get because I still don't know what some of these features are.

My daughter got an iPod 3 years ago. She is now 13. It was the first ipod in the house. I set up her AppleID with email name like daughter@gmail.com but under my name/address/credit card. We sync her iPod on DaughterPC

Shortly afterwards, I bought myself an iPod and didn't understand how to share, so I created a new AppleID - mom@gmail.com. I synced that device on MomPC. My iPod is stolen after a few short months and I never replaced it.

Fast forward 2 1/2 years.

Son (7) gets an iPod. I make him use daughter@gmail.com AppleID and DaughterPC. The kids share apps and music but sharing music is becoming a problem as I don't want some of her songs loaded on his iPod and she doesn't like "Kids Bop". :rolleyes: I don't know how to easily manage this.

I jumped ship from Android and got an iPhone and iPad 2 weeks ago. I assigned the old mom@gmail ID to these devices and am using MomPC.

Here are my questions (finally).

1) I want one AppleID for purchases so I don't have to buy things twice. How do I do it at this point? I've never used homesharing and don't know how to set it up.

2) Once I get the one AppleId going, then I want to get the iCloud set up. I assume I just need to set up separate iCloud accounts, but I'm not sure how that affects photostream, calendars, contacts, siri, etc.

Sigh....

"everything just works" is probably true but good lord this set up is confusing!!

How do I begin? :eek:

Roadking

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
I am hoping someone answers who can help. I am interested in setting up an iPad for my kids but am not sure if I should set up another account or share my current one.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Hi best and easiest way to go about it....

Firstly have Apple ID #1 (eg xxx@xxx.com) use that solely for purchases etc from itunes etc...

Next for everyone in the family set-up a seperate iCloud account, on each iOS device. Just ensure that all the cloud stuff is on there cloud account and the store stuff is on the shared ID.

James

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Would you or someone else familiar with your suggestion please elaborate in detailed steps for the Apple neophytes and non-tech type folks? Would be mucho appreciated!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.