"Family Guy" Returns to Fox

Discussion in 'Community' started by mac 2005, Apr 1, 2005.

1. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Mark your calendars for May 1. Fox returns "Family Guy" to prime time TV in the States. :D

This show is the most subversively funny show to hit the airwaves in the U.S., and I can't wait to see the new episodes. :cool:

2. ocellnuri macrumors regular

Thanks to the power of DVD sales!

Now we've just got to get Invader Zim back on the air.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

SCORE!!!! I love family guy its the great show ever....

4. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

I hope the new episodes are as good as the old ones. :rolleyes:

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

'bout ****ing time! i've been waiting for this for quite some time...

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Thumbs up the asses of family rights groups. Rock on! :D

8. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I wonder how many times it can go off the air and then come back?

9. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Well, this will be the first.

10. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Wrong.

Scroll down to History of the Show.

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

As long as Fox doesn't censor Family Guy, all the power too them...

12. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i have heard tons of rumors that there will be a new character introduced!!!!

13. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Yeah I know what you mean. I hope that they don't make crappy episodes that people lap up and say, "Oh man that was great!"...Kinda like those people who watch the new Star Wars movies.

14. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

More so it was thanks to cartoon network. The most watch block of tevision for males 18-24 was/is from 10-11pm cartoon network. The shows are Futureramal and Family guy. That is the main reason they are bring it back. It one thing to get the most watch block but to do it at that late of an hour is another matter in it self. You are betting out prime time spots.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The DVD sales were a big reason for its return, as well as Adult Swim showing every episode. Lets just hope that Fox keeps it on the same time so that people can find the show and watch it.

16. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I still for the life of me can't understand why they still haven't brought Futurama back. It is really beyond all rational comprehension. :(
    If FG picks up big ratings perhaps all hope is not lost .....

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

not enough people like futurama, I mean I found it funny but not on Family Guy's level ... I don't thinnk Mat Groening even really wants to make more futurama.

18. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I like Futurama a lot more than family guy but I think a big part of the reason is Family guy is relitively pretty cheap per episod and Futurama was very expesive per episoded

19. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Everyone I know loved Futurama.What I do get tired of though is the cash cow that is the Simpsons, every episode is tired and resorts to just bizarre things in order to get laughs. Futurama was fresh, it had the adult bent that the best Simpsons had while having an endless scope (and situation to allow it) for great storylines.
    In almost everyway it was superior to the Simpsons, it is just such a shame that the latter has been so hyped through the years that the majority didn't look anywhere else for their laughs. One day it should all back fire (it does for everyone else!) and they will suddenly find that the Simpsons doesn't sell anymore and they need something new at which point they will realise they shelved the best replacement they had for it years ago.
    Although very different in situation the classic family guy episodes had a touch of the Simpsons about them but with an exciting new twist you can't get by going on for over a decade.
    And before some Simpsons' fan flames me can I just say that I do like the show I just feel comedy has moved on and it hasn't. The animation while better than the early episodes doesn't allow for the hidden visual jokes that Futurama and modern animations have it is also to driven by a central character. Without Homer there would be no humour in it anymore.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I disagree, I think its the supporting cast that keeps The Simpsons fresh. They can do an episode on every single character and still have a funny episode. Im still waiting for the Hans Moleman episode.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What makes Family Guy so good is that they take risks with the story lines. The jokes are daring and they offend everyone so nobody can complain because everyone is at risk. Plus Stewie is maybe the best cartoon character ever conceived.

22. the_mole1314 macrumors 6502a

23. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well no its not, originally they were coming back in June 2005 , thats been moved so they can maximize their sweeps potential ... then it was the middle of may and now its may 1 .... all for sweeps, don't trash a post when you don't know the details

24. the_mole1314 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but even then it was announce back by the Super Bowl during American Dad.

Sorry again, I guess I was a jerk in that last post. :eek:

25. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Another thing is, the show was hard for the average family to connect with. It was set in the year 3000 afterall, Simpsons is family viewing. Plus it was marketed in the wrong way from the get go, making it seem like it was like the simpsons, once people found that out a few turned off.

The great thing about it was that it didn't matter what year it was set. You had present day actors in it because of the jars and the humour was top notch. Some consider it to good because the show was even more funnier when you understood the complex science created jokes involving Quantum physics.

One example is the horse race in "Luck of the Fryish" at the start. The moment when Farnsworth bitched about the outcome of the race being changed when it was measured. Had it not been measured (because of its tight finish) he would of won. Explaining the reason why being intentionally left out on my part. :)

For the moment...