Family History Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlexH, Jan 26, 2007.

1. AlexH macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    I've recently become interested in my family's history. I'd like to trace the genealogy, where my family came from (I've heard Ireland/Wales), what year we arrived, etc.

I've done a little Googling, but man, it's overwhelming! I'm not exactly sure where to start and how to get to the bottom of this. Has anyone here tried this before? Have any tips on where to start, how to proceed, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
  2. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    It helps to learn as much history as possible. Where was the family from, distant relatives. What year did they move to America.
  3. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2006
    for a hundred bucks, you can provide National Geographic with a dna sample of yours (q-tip swab in the mouth), and they will tell you from what area youre genetically from, what migratory paths your genes travelled, and how they ended up in you. However, they won't give you names of your relatives like what you asked(obviously), but you can find out geographically where your ancestors came from originally, going back hundreds and hundreds of years.
  4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    One website you could maybe take a look at is Genes Reunited – if you've ancestors from the British Isles then you never know, they might be listed on there.

You have to register but it is free, so it might be worth a whirl.
  5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Start with your parents and work your way up ;) Once you start getting back a ways, you have to get creative with census records and all that jazz.
  6. macmama macrumors regular

Nov 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    Your local Church of Latter-Day Saints will be able to help. They are very into geneology, and you don't have to be Mormon to use their resources.