Family members drive you crazy?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Aug 24, 2005.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    My father and brother are driving me into the insane asylum.
    Does anyone else have any relatives that drive them nuts???
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    God, my brother pisses me off to no end!

Oh, and if my brother who frequents the forum is reading this, I mean the other one ;)

Just kidding (although I do have a brother who also frequents this joint) - I think everyone has issues like this from time to time. In general, my family gets along pretty well, but that's because we're all pretty shallow in our general interactions, so we typically don't hurt each others' feelings.
  3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    my bother just pisses me off 24/7

he's made it his goal in life to make mine a pain :rolleyes:
  4. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    No one in my family drives me crazy because I'm the one driving them crazy.
  5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Why am I not surprised... :D

On the other hand, I have a similar role in my family... ;)
  6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    That's awesome. I like people that can keep things in perspective. I'm an only child and wish that I'd had siblings.
  7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't know anybody who isn't occasionally driven batty by most people they deal with regularly. There are two reasons your family member are more likely to do this. One is that you are more likely to be in proximity or communication with them regularly, so there are simply more chances for conflicts. Second is that except in extreme cases you are stuck with them, for better or worse, and knowing that can rub salt in minor wounds, even though you probably wouldn't really want to trade your loved ones for somebody else's.

So it's practically inevitable that they'll bother you sometimes. My opinion is that you shouldn't let the fact that they bother you bother you.
  8. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Some examples.

1. I'll pretend to be a dog and I'll go around the house sniffing with my nose making that sniffing sound. I'll do this for hours on end, until I get yelled at.

2. When everyone is gathered around the TV, I'll dump my laundry near the TV and tell everyone that I plan on marrying my laundry.

Of course, I've mellowed a bit as I've gotten older.
  9. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
  10. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    My brother. I am carrying 25 pounds of book, so why can't he manage to get enough energy to haul in the damn package?!?! :mad:
  11. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    with my mom anything you do is wrong...ive come to not take the it personally :) Divorce was my dads best decision ever. hahaha is that bad?
  12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    ha, my family and i have our good times and our bad.... it happens, but it seems that the less we interact the calmer things end up being, the more you throw us together the more tensions rise. no big surprise there. hence why i cannot wait until i can get my own place.
  13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    Interesting little slip, there. ;)
  14. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I hate my drug addicted, selfish, stupid sister.

It's taken me thirty years, three kids from three different fathers, her missing my mothers funeral because she was in jail, screwing her kids out of a mother and a good life, ruining my childhood and having to deal with her transportationless ass last week when I was trying to prepare for my father's memorial service, at which I had to give the eulogy. At this point, we're done.

Now, that said. I don't like letting relationships that go bad fester. Talk it out, do your best until you're at your whit's end.

I think I have every right to hate my sister. :)
  15. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    No one in my family driving me crazy. They're good people.

I might drive them crazy sometimes, because when they ask me to do things, I do it in my own time. Which means 'next week'.

iGary: That sucks. My sister is likely the best friend I have. We've always gone along very well...
  16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I have an excellent relationship with my family assisted by the 1000's of miles of separation between us. It helps to be almost directly on the other side of the planet. :)
  17. pammyspyce macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    Bay Area, Calif
    My free-loading 23 year-old cousin. He lives with our 74 year-old grandmothr and mooches off her. He only works part-time and spends all other hours of the day gaming and drinking. Grow up!!
  18. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    My older brother likes to aggravate me to no end.

My younger brother was killed in a car accident and I try not to let my only living brother get to me because I'm just so happy to still have him alive.
  19. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005

I'm sorry for your loss. But I'm glad that it seems like you have taken a positive from that in your tolerance level for your older brother. :eek:
  20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That's sad, iGary, and I'm sorry to hear it.

You and your sister remind me of a pair of siblings I met. One is the responsible one and is driven crazy by the one who is not. And they are identical twins!
  21. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Thank you. I really do view life differently now - I got a big dose of perspective when my brother died. I find myself always thinking it could be worse.... about things people would normally find pretty bad.
  22. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss iGary. My prayers are with you and your family.

Apparently your sister hasn't hit bottom yet.
  23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    They **** you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

Philip Larkin, This Be The Verse
  24. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Same with me. My older sister and I are pretty close. We get along really well, except when I'm in the car with her while she's driving. Then all hell breaks lose. :D