1. el_grapadora macrumors newbie

el_grapadora

Ok, kind of a stupid question, but here goes...

So the family's thinking about getting a family pack for Tiger...'cept that I don't live at home any more, and I don't want to get into some weird situation for having a different address or something. Anyone have the Panther family pack? Do they control for the household or something?

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

From my understanding, when you buy a family pack, it comes with 5 CD's and 5 CD keys. You wouldn't need to live in the same house hold. What if I lived in a Duplex, and my mom and dad and sister lived on one side, and me and my brother on another side that's 2 different addresses, so would they come after us? I don't think so. I know you think its a stupid question, but I see Microsoft heading in that direction for making it SAME household. I think that was a good question, sorry if it sounds like my words are forming a duh, I don't know how else to phrase it. GL with that.

3. stuckwithme247 macrumors regular

Tiger requires a cd key?

4. el_grapadora thread starter macrumors newbie

el_grapadora

Yeah, that's actually why I asked...I switched a little over a year ago, and I got used to XP's ridiculous activation process. I'm not all crazy about it being an invasion of my privacy or anything...I just think it's a pain in the neck.

Thanks for the reply, though.

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

6. Poeben macrumors 6502

I think it is odd that Apple doesn't offer an education discount on the family pack. The edu price for the single license is $69. The family pack can be had from amazon for $149 after rebate. What gives? Also, the single license from amazon goes for $95 after rebate.

Guess amazon will be getting my order soon, as I have 3 macs.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You sure about that?

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah....

Yeah, I'm sure Apple is pretty mad about that...

You know that ANY Apple product is made by Apple...so any third parties that give discounts are only cutting into THEIR profit as they bought the stuff from Apple at a set price.

I remember a guy at an Apple store once REFUSED to purchase an iPod from the retail store because they did not offer the same free, cheap ass speakers that best buy did (they were like $20). He was a teacher who wanted to use his edu discount (which best buy did not offer) AND he wanted me to throw in a set of comparable speakers for free. I haggled with the guy for a while (you really think Apple sells cheap ass 2.1 speakers?) before he gave up, went to best buy and then came back telling me and my manager we had lost a sale.

It was great though...my manager simply asked what he bought (20 gig iPod at full retail price and the free cheap ass speakers) and thanked him for supporting the company. The BEST thing was...he came BACK two weeks later looking for new speakers because his free ones didn't have much bass (2.1...with no bass? who woulda thunk it?)

Sorry for the rant...Apple really doesn't care where you buy it, as long as you buy it.

9. fedora macrumors member

No it doesn't

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

NO...

YEAH, hey, windows icon guy...get with the program...Tiger doesn't require activation, no Mac OS ever has.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very happy that Apple offers the family pack, it's a good deal. Its called "Family Pack," thereby should be for a family. In our modern world there are many reasons for a family not always being under the same roof.

12. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

From what I've heard, Tiger requires activation. When someone gets it on the 29th, let us know weather or not it requires Activation or not. I've just heard that it does require activation.

13. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I'm almost positive that Tiger does not require activation but I think it will have some form of security checker thing... maybe not - theres Archive and Install stuff like that and Apple, being smart, did not put activation so a user would not have to call them up just to use a computer (i.e., Microsoft)

The only real app that requires activation is Adobe CS2, one of the reasons a lot of people are not getting CS2 (also because it may not be such a big upgrade)

14. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

EDIT: So I wasn't losing, it, I was right, they do require activation.

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

THis is from apple's website under the tiger upgrade section (step 6) link
    WHo knows what that regsitering means, we will know in 13 days

This from a company that sells socks for $30 :eek: ;)

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Except that Apple specifically defines the family pack as being for up to 5 computers that are under one roof being used by people resident at that address. It specifically excludes students in the same family if they live at school, and any type of business or office use.

Doesn't matter what anybody else thinks "family" should mean.

Apple:
    "Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons sharing the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium. This license does not extend to students who reside at a separate on-campus location or to business or commercial users."

17. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Go home, install it, go back to school, there you go.

18. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If 'registration' means the same thing as is has for previous versions of Mac OS X, it's a simple (and optional) uplink to Apple so that they have a record of installations.

And SlooksterPSV, I am so dead certain that Tiger absolutely positively will NOT require activation that if it does, I will PayPal you $5. There are no CD-keys, serial numbers, activations, or even required registration (gives you the option to skip that step) in the Mac OS. Apple makes profit primarily on hardware, and uses software sales to push their hardware. Hence they don't put too much effort into making their apps theft deterrent.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So if I install the family pack on my laptop then take it out of the house will Apple come after me. :rolleyes:

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

where did you get this information?

I called the Apple store and asked....they said that it doesn't require activation of any sort.....the guy swore he was absolutley positively certain it doesn't require activation so if you have a source for your information, it would be interesting to know?

21. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/

Last step - step 6, read it

EDIT: AND I QUOTE

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Registering is not the same as activation... :rolleyes:

All versions of Mac OS (at least since 7.1) has had some sort of registration, but this has always been voluntary, and if you choose not to register (or register as Donald Duck) Mac OS has always worked just fine...

23. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well it's still registering. I know its not activation, but you have to register to activate it so you can use it. I've been through panther install 4 times, jaguar install 3 times, OS 7.5.3 install 5 times (OS 7.5.3 didn't require registration), OS 9 install 4 times (OS 9 didn't require registration). - Maybe you are right though, I could have bypassed them... don't remember all too well now.

24. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Nice way to backtrack. ;)

25. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

We'll have all the answers to our questions on April 29th.