Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
My father-in-law is considering switching to macs, but a deal breaker is whether or not he can continue to use his genealogy information. He's been using Family Tree Maker which is peecee only. I've read that Reunion is a good mac alternative, but will he be able to transfer his data from FTM to Reunion? What if anything would he lose?

Thanks!

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Can FTM export gedcom files? If so, you shouldn't really loose anything. Reunion imports those very well, in most cases...

Reunion rules, BTW... :)

Don't know what a gedcom is but, checking... Yes! It looks like it can. So sounds like it'll work! Thanks!

Cool, maybe we'll get a new convert :D

Cleopatra

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Norway
Leister Productions, developer of Reunion have their own forum called Reunion Talk, the developers does often answer questions here. Here can you ask for details about import of gedcom to Reunion from Family Tree Maker.

And I have to agree with Mitthrawnuruodo that Reunion rules. ;)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
discoforce said:
Don't know what a gedcom is but, checking... Yes! It looks like it can. So sounds like it'll work! Thanks!

Cool, maybe we'll get a new convert :D
GEDCOM is an acronym for GEnealogical Data COMmunication. It is the standard data format for geneology. You can read an introduction to the format here.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
I've done exactly that--imported a gedcom file from FTM into Reunion. I don't think Reunion missed a thing. Whoever decided on the gedcom standard did a good deed.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
That's great to hear it's fairly easy to transfer info b/w the programs. I think I'll download the Reunion demo and give it a whirl, so I can answer other questions he may have about switching.

Thanks everyone for the help!

macob

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
Convert Family Tree Maker to Mac genealogy software

I have the same question. I would like to ditch my pc and get an iMac, but have concerns about the 1,600 names I have on Family Tree Maker software, which only has a PC version. Does anyone know if there is a way to convert the info to genealogy software that works on a Mac?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I have the same question. I would like to ditch my pc and get an iMac, but have concerns about the 1,600 names I have on Family Tree Maker software, which only has a PC version. Does anyone know if there is a way to convert the info to genealogy software that works on a Mac?
Well, since the OP said that FTM can export GEDCOM files, that would be the best way, I think. ;)

Reunion (at $100) is, IMO, the best genealogy software for the Mac, but there are cheaper alternatives. I've just barely tried MacFamilyTree, which looks kind of nice, but already being a Reunion user didn't like it enough to "switch".

Both Reunion and MacFamilyTree can import and export GEDCOM files quite well. :)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
My kids just got me Mac Family Tree 5 for Christmas. As mentioned above, it's got a GEDCOM Import feature for those of you wanting to switch. I can't wait to dig in :)
3691.jpg

budpam

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
My kids just got me Mac Family Tree 5 for Christmas. As mentioned above, it's got a GEDCOM Import feature for those of you wanting to switch. I can't wait to dig in :)
3691.jpg

Cooknn, have you been successful in importing your GEDCOM data and how do you like Mac Family Tree? Is it easy to use?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Whoever decided on the gedcom standard did a good deed.

The LDS (Mormon) Church. Those folks are crazy for genealogy!

Really, if you're a genealogist and haven't been to the Family History Center in Salt Lake City, you are missing one of the wonders of the modern world.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
Apologies for the zombie thread...

I just created a genealogy software application. It runs under both MacOS and Windows (and can be run in both environments concurrently as a multi-user environment, for that matter).

Now that I've done so, I'm trying to find the people who WANT MacOS genealogy software, to beta test and/or give me some feedback.

Email me via my profile if you'd like to see it. Should be compatible with MacOS 10.4.x and beyond, Windows version on XP and beyond.

adrianlambert

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Apologies for the zombie thread...

I just created a genealogy software application. It runs under both MacOS and Windows (and can be run in both environments concurrently as a multi-user environment, for that matter).

Now that I've done so, I'm trying to find the people who WANT MacOS genealogy software, to beta test and/or give me some feedback.

Email me via my profile if you'd like to see it. Should be compatible with MacOS 10.4.x and beyond, Windows version on XP and beyond.

I'm interested but I can't see any contact info in your profile...

soundgod

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
Family tree software

Would be interested in new Gen software, have tried FTM, Reunion and a couple others and haven't found any I like so far. Most are confusing and have too much irrelevant info without the info I want to store.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The next major version of Family Tree Maker is supposed to be dual platform -- according to the rumors I've seen. I think that release was supposed to happen some time around Fall 2010.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.