Family Values

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

:mad:

http://www.thetaskforce.org/media/release.cfm?releaseID=1019

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon06/12/121506homeless.htm

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Whatsoever you do to the least of my Brothers...

Hypocrites. We're not all that bad. I know it looks like that sometimes, but really, we aren't.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. Turned away by faith-based organizations?

As I recall, Jesus hung out with all kinds of sinners.

Not that I'm saying LGBTs are sinners; obviously they're not. But these "faith" groups and family members apparently consider them so, and unlike Jesus, they are turning them away.

For a bunch of people who claim to read the Bible a lot, they sure don't get a lot out of it, do they?

What do you suppose Jesus thinks of this?

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I'm starting a new 'Religion' under the working title of Jesusism, or Atheist's for Jesus, or something along thses lines.

I figure Jesus was a nice bloke, who preached about love, peace and so on. It seems to me that he's getting a bad press from all of these religions and religious groups who have adopted him as their patron and then do the complete opposite of what he would have wanted.

It's either that or I'm going to live on the top of a mountain. And I don't want to live on the top of a mountain.

Edit: It looks like there's already an Atheists for Jesus website: I'll have to read through the site and see if I agree or if I have to start a sub-faction!

5. Queso macrumors G4

Maybe they could allow some of these homeless gay youths to become wards of gay couples, or would that be seen as further corrupting them :mad:

Yeah, thinking about it, the so-called-Christian Right would prefer it if these youngsters end up on the game and addicted to drugs. That way they can use them as examples to keep other homosexual children in their place.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Funny how you can be a rapist or a murderer and your family is right there with you in court, helping your defense team, crying when you get sentenced, but you kiss other boys, and it's all downhill.... :( Sometimes I just don't understand people.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

8. Queso macrumors G4

Depends on where they grow up. I know a couple of gay UK muslims. The Imams down the Mosque are, shall we say, far from happy about it, but their families have been accepting. In Saudi Arabia, an autocratic monarchy with close relations to arms-dealers and financiers of terrorism, I imagine both of them would be in prison by now.

For a so-called modern democracy founded on a principle of equality, the events described in the original article are pretty disgusting. The USA should know better.

9. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Jesus took care of people who no one else cared about. I can't comment on what Jesus thinks of this, however I am not suprised that people like this act the way they do. However if there is a life after our life on this world I can only assume that you will be judged how you judged others. True Christians do not need to flaunt their faith. They act quietly and do the right things for their fellow man. I was born and raised Catholic but now I attend the United Church of Christ because their doors are open to all.

The straw that broke the camels back when it comes to my attendance of the Catholic Church is when I had to sit through a CD that was recorded by an assistant to the Bishop. He told us how we should vote on two state amendments last October. It made a lot of people uneasy and for me I felt like the Church I was raised in is being taken over by the big right wing political machine. Too bad.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

11. emmawu macrumors 6502

I really feel so sad when people are not accepted for who they are for whatever reason. We are living in the 21st century and who cares whomever you love.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, not really. Kinda the problem. Er, or what that your point.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

:eek:

When I came out I had the full support of my student union that if I got cut off I would get a grant from a charity for disowned LGBT students that would cover me along with student loans unless I felt like living on £250 a year until I could find a job, which in my position then was near impossible. I didn't expect this to happen, but the LGBT officer told me of all this and made it clear that I'd have to tell at some point I'd have support whatever happened and the earlier I told the better.

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I haven't read the articles cited by Blue Velvet, but I was wondering: Do they actually name names for any of these organizations?

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

one of my roommates freshman year of college was gay (and closeted to his parents). about halfway through the year, his father cut off his tuition. why? because he'd visited the school and determined that the kid had too many gay friends. at least that's what he said. it'd be hard to not realize he was gay (he came in 3rd at the awesome drag show that year!), so i'm guessing the father finally realized/accepted it and broke off from him. i believe his parents got divorced soon after that (she was only staying with him so that he'd pay for the kid's college)... crazy what bigotry and fear can cause people to do to even their own children. on that note, among all the bad things about him, gotta hand it to dick cheney for not disowning his daughter (although i guess the whole "upper-middle class people have it easier in general" thing maybe came into play)

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

One of my favorite bumper stickers, although I've only seen it on one car (possibly a side effect of living in TX)

I may have changed the highlighting/accenting but the idea still comes through.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

No they don't.

Pretty horrifying if true though, I can't imagine that anyone's version of Jesus would condone such behaviour though. Just goes to show that faith based services funded by the government are always a bad idea.

19. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I'm a parent, and I can't even begin to imagine how a parent can treat their own kids with such disrespect and hatred. I bet its not all about religious reasons - some of has to do with plain bigotry.

"Family Values" is a joke.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's been my point. Religion is just an excuse. Why else would they ignore the rest of what the Bible says. Especially those same parts that mention homosexuality.

Sadly, that becomes one of the representatives of the religion when it's a very minor point, if at all.

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, color me surprised.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

:rolleyes:
    Would you like them to? I'm sure it's an awfully long list.

Oh wait- no, I'm sure they just said that to slam religion. :rolleyes:

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Agreed. It should read ""Christian family values" is a joke"

When my son was born my wife and I agreed that it didnt matter if he were straight, gay, bi, transexual or whatever, we will love him and support him.

Even if my son chooses to ba a drag queen, he'd better be the best damn drag queen ever!

As shocking as it sounds (at least to me) I question the "love" that these parents have for their children.

Without names I'm skeptical about the "religious organizations" part...

24. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Well said. My husband and I feel exactly the same way.

As for people who don't have any gay people in their family: WHY THE HELL DO YOU CARE? How on earth is a stranger being gay or a gay couple raising a family affect you (to make you hate them) in any way shape or form? I do not get it.