Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axiom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2002
Portland, OR, USA
a silly romance movie called Kate & Leopold features a bunch of G4's in an office environment with Apple LCD's, and the boss of Kate's advertising company has a Ti-Book that gets quite a blatant showing off mid-movie.

I'm all for Macs in the movies....

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
on the simpsons tonight (syndicated) - homer takes lisa to a cyber-cafe, and they are all using imacs...does that count?

simpsons rocks.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
In Austin Powers I spotted a few Quicksilvers in the background of the dr. Evil sub, of course they were oof but they look cool still :)

Ensign

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
waht about austin's titanium shag-book that gets a full on close up for about a 5 minute period. it gets full back and front views and even shows off OSX its all of its botched, hollywood glory.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
The Royal Tenenbaums(one of the best movies ever BTW)features Chaz's office run by a room full of Cubes and 15" Studio LCDs. Very cool. Also, 6 Feet Under on HBO(again, rockin') features a Titanium PowerBook from time to time. The massage therapist girlfriend uses it to type dirty secrets in her journal. Sex and the City: Carrie uses a G3 Pismo as her main writing machine. Legally Blonde: Elle Woods uses an orange clamshell iBook , barf.
The list goes on and on. Most movies feature a Mac because they are more pleasing to the eye and used to come in a million colors to compliment the set design. Anyway, I went to see "SIMONE" tonight and was hoping to see a Mac creating the hot chick but no dice. BTW, that movie SUCKS! avoid it at all costs. i hate when the hype is better than the film.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
yea they use two, i think 2 Voodoo PeeCees and some computer w/ an old 5.25 inch floppy drive and some miracle drive that can u can place a hard drive into and it reads it. Exactly like putting a cd in a cd drive w/ a tray. This thing was like that, just w/ a full sized hard drive. I want one of those.....
(BTW, its not a tape drive, so dont try and say it is)

And also, i dont understand how the girl retieved all that data w/ two keystrokes and pressing the enter button. That software had no visible OS, so how would she be able to know what code to use??!!

Yes aviod the movie at ALL costs. Dont just go see it cuz of the girl, cuz ull just get al pachino putting on lipstick and playing w/ his computer the whole damn movie. I liked him better in mafia movies.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Kate and Leopold is funny, because Kate tries to 'catch' her ex at saying Leopold is in town for the big Mac Hacker Trade show or something and asks him, so I'm having problems installing OS9.6 on my G5 - can you help?

I thought that was even better than any of the product placements.

D

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by tjwett
The Royal Tenenbaums(one of the best movies ever BTW)

It certainly is! i'm not the kind of guy that has a favorite movie, but for this, i make exception... and the cubes just make it better!

edvniow, you beat me to it. Love the TAM in seinfeld (can't say the same for the show itself)...

What about Six Feet Under, which i absolutely love... Brenda uses a TiBook... even if she is a nympho bitch, it's still cool to see...

:)
pnw

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by edvniow
I just saw a 20th Anneversary Macintosh on a Seinfeld repeat earlier today. :)
i saw that too :p

homer takes lisa to a cyber-cafe, and they are all using imacs...does that count?
when homer gets a puter (that mr x episode) he gets a powermac but on its side lol

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by G5orbust
yea they use two, i think 2 Voodoo PeeCees and some computer w/ an old 5.25 inch floppy drive and some miracle drive that can u can place a hard drive into and it reads it. Exactly like putting a cd in a cd drive w/ a tray. This thing was like that, just w/ a full sized hard drive. I want one of those.....
(BTW, its not a tape drive, so dont try and say it is)

And also, i dont understand how the girl retieved all that data w/ two keystrokes and pressing the enter button. That software had no visible OS, so how would she be able to know what code to use??!!

Yes aviod the movie at ALL costs. Dont just go see it cuz of the girl, cuz ull just get al pachino putting on lipstick and playing w/ his computer the whole damn movie. I liked him better in mafia movies.

couldn't have said it better! what was up with that drive? and the giant Floppy with the plague virus? i feel like less of a person after that piece of crap.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
but what do u guys think of the magical hard drive drive w/ the tray that u place the hd into and the retrival of all of the program by the girl w/ like 2 keystrokes?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by G5orbust
but what do u guys think of the magical hard drive drive w/ the tray that u place the hd into and the retrival of all of the program by the girl w/ like 2 keystrokes?

i know! the movie made no sense. the hype was way better than the movie. it was just pure crap. every scene was a struggle.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by tjwett

i know! the movie made no sense. the hype was way better than the movie. it was just pure crap. every scene was a struggle.

Yes, perfect summary. PURE CRAP.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
In the new austin powers movie, aside from the pmac quicksilvers, austin's TiBook, and all the apple displays, the keyboard used for the time machine is a black apple pro keyboard:D

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
The movie Showtime with Eddie Murphy and Robert DeNiro, had lots of Apple Lcd's and cubes!!

And there was a t.v. ad with the Powerbook on it!!

I call that Subliminal advertising!!;) ;)

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Originally posted by xrhajj
The movie Showtime with Eddie Murphy and Robert DeNiro, had lots of Apple Lcd's and cubes!!

And there was a t.v. ad with the Powerbook on it!!

I call that Subliminal advertising!!;) ;)

Maybe product placement, but i wouldn't go so far as to say subliminal advertising

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by beez7777
In the new austin powers movie, aside from the pmac quicksilvers, austin's TiBook, and all the apple displays, the keyboard used for the time machine is a black apple pro keyboard:D

yep. product placement spanning two movies (AP II and AP III)

The keyboard is clear enough to recognize it and barely make out the apple logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.