famous weight loss stories

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 10, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i started talking weight loss on another unrelated thread, so i thought i would start a proper thread on the topic

what's your stories on the topic?

twenty years ago, i graduated high school at 130 lbs at five foot seven
    -ten years later i got to 150
    -a few years after that, i got to near 180
    -then i dieted for the first time and got to 150
    -several years later i gradually got back to 180
    -now i am losing weight again and trying to get anywhere under 160 but this time it's harder
    -but this second time around dieting, i want to keep the weight off permanently

that's it in a nutshell:D

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

my story...

First off, I've never really had a weight problem...with that said...

I graduated high school in '95, weighing about 125 lbs...now keep in mind I'm only 5'5. Anyway, I used to workout and all, but got quite lazy after high school. I worked retail right across from a convenient store which I frequented constantly while working. Eating out all the time, going out drinking (lots of beer) 3-4 times a week, and pure laziness put up to 155 lbs within 2 years.

As of the summer of '97, I went from having a size 30 waist to a 32. I finally woke up and realized just what I was doing to myself when my size 32's were starting to fit a little snug, so I decided to start eating a bit healthier to lose a few lbs. I just so happened that my girlfriend at the time dumped me, and from the sheer depression I lost 10 lbs in a week (I didn't eat for 3 days literally :eek:). That jumpstarted the weightloss. However, I was still not doing well emotionally, so I started exercising again to help ease the tension I carried around all the time. Within 3 month I had lost 25 lbs, and was starting to feel really great.

Then I decided I wanted to get washboard abs, so I started running. I lost about another 5 lbs or so from that. Running did a lot for me mentally, as it's such a great release for stress.

And now, even though I eat 4 times a day, I exercise almost daily going between weights & biking...and somehow I've managed to shed a few more lbs (mostly body mass at this point now). So all together, I've lost a total of nearly 40 lbs since '97 (25 of it being intentional of course). Now my metabolism is faster than it's ever been in my life, I eat more than I ever have before, and I feel great! :D

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

well i used to be about 60lbs more than this.

[​IMG]

4. job macrumors 68040

job

Never had any real weight problem. :)

I'm currently 6'3" and about 150 - 160 pounds.

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

wow...but how old are you;) :D :p

hatman/fatman update: 180 down to 173...14 lbs. to go...wish me luck;)

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I figured I should "weigh-in" on this issue since it was jef' and I discussing it in the other thread.

I've had some success with high-protein/low-carb diets...when paired with exercise. I've heard from some people that they stress your kidneys a little if you go crazy (Atkins).

The main thing for me is getting on a workout regimen, and sticking to it. My recent weight gain is due to a new full-time deskjob and stopping my involvement with intercollegiate athletics. I'm not blessed with a fast metabolism (never have been) so it takes a good deal of work for me.

I also love to eat. Food is one of the best things in life, and good food is a true pleasure. I just need to monitor my portions since I'm not burning 3000+ calories a day rowing everyday like I was before.

I'm currently 260, aiming for the 215 range...you can watch my progress in my sig.

Wish me luck!:)

7. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Two Weeks ago I weighted in at about 14 stone then I decided it was time for a change and in the last 2 weeks I have lost about 1 stone. No stopping now :) (I am exactly 6ft, 15 years old)

Ensign

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

In 7th grade, I weighed 75 lbs. In 10th grade, I weighed 125. In 11th grade, I weighed 130. I still weigh 130, four years later, and I haven't gained or lost more than three pounds either way since then. (5'9") This is taking into account a couple radical diet shifts (healthy home-cooked meals in high school, no exercise -> junk food in college, no exercise -> 6 months of veganism in college, some exercise -> an end to that and a more normal diet, lots of exercise). I am blessed with the awesome ability to eat absolutely however much of whatever I want without gaining or losing more than two or three pounds. I wish metabolism were controlled by a single organ - I would sell mine to an aging supermodel for massive $$$$. :)

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

damn...I wish I was 6' at 15...I haven't grown an inch since I was 14...:rolleyes:

btw...what exactly is a "stone?"

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

a stone is half of two stones...duh

11. phufball71 macrumors member

6'4 and 235 i m in good shape never really had a weight prob. im 15 also

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You're a little bit bigger than I was at your age (6'3" 200lbs).

You play football, basketball...?

13. job macrumors 68040

job

I'm 16. I run for the track team and swim for my school a lot so I guess that explains my weight. :D :rolleyes:

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

aaahhhh....thank u for clarifying that jef! :rolleyes: ;)

15. phufball71 macrumors member

football,shot put and discus. i used 2 play bball and soccer but now im full time football.

16. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

bah i wish i could easily lose weight :(
    n i'm only 17 (n still growing)
    but i exercise at times n havent eaten much in the last few days so i hope to lose a bit by the end of summer :D

17. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

This is funny

I weighed 175 out of college in 1992. As I slowly crept up to 180, 185, 190, I decided I needed to start working out again. So I get a gym membership and workout for two months. For some reason, by weight shot up to 230.

I continue to workout and the weight slowly starts to come off. I've hit many plateaus: 225, 220, 215. I continued to weigh 215 for years and I've stopped working out (although I am still very active). As I started to eat less food, half the fries a McDonalds, not clean my plate at Chili's, don't pig out on snacks at home, I've come down to 190. It's still coming off so I may again weigh 175.

I am 6' tall, solid build. According to the BMI or Body Mass Index, I am obese. I am not obese.

18. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: This is funny

good for you...you have achieved a lot so far!

my optimal weight is to be 150 lbs. but i am big boned and have large leg muscles so i can slide at 5'7" and 160 lbs.

the whole body mass index is based on an average build...maybe you have a large bone structure like me or larger muscles...i have seen men my height well over 200 lbs with tiny bird legs