Fan and OS questions. Help please.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TrillyandTruly, Apr 18, 2011.

1. TrillyandTruly macrumors newbie

Dec 9, 2010
    I've had my new macbook air for about 2 months now, and I love every bit of it. It's quiet and it always feels cold, with the fan never going off. A couple of days ago however, I installed OS LION and I noticed that my mac will get hotter than usual. Not blazing hot, but it'll get pretty warm without me even watching a video, and wifi turned off. Somtimes, the fan will just randomly go off and I have no clue what's causing it. The first thing that comes to mind is OS LION. Can this be the reason causing all of this? I'm a little worried as I don't want my mac to heat up when it's not suppose to.

Also, I would like to reinstall Snow Leopard. Is there any other way to reinstall it without using Time Machine? This is a noob question, but how do you use Time Machine? Thanks for your help!
  2. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    lets see what we got here:
    1) i am running lion on a 2nd partition, lion runs a fair bit warmer than SL. mine roughly was idling at 60-80 degrees C. i repaired permissions and this seem to knock it down to between 50-65 degrees...i than installed smcfancontrol and gave my fans a bit of a boost to 2500RPM and installed coolbook. this knocked the temp down to about 43-50(steady)

regarding your os's..i definitely don't recommend installing lion as a primary os...bad idea for a number of reasons (1 being its still buggy and you could lose all your data to a bug that may not have been discovered yet). Just use your install thumb drive to format and install