Fan Blows on Startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dougnewman, Mar 7, 2007.

1. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Most of the time, when I turn on my PB12, I just hear the normal startup noise.

However, lately, from time to time, I hear the fan blow really hard for a few seconds before the normal startup process begins.

This has happened maybe one of every four times I turn on the computer, ever since I had my hard drive replaced under warranty last month.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The hard drive could be running hot and the fans might be trying to cool it? :confused:

Has the PB felt hotter lately? Do the fans kick-in under normal operation after it boots up?

3. dougnewman thread starter macrumors 6502

It always feels pretty hot after I use it for a few hours.

Once I start up, it takes a long time to get the fan going, regardless of whether it ran before startup or not.

4. dougnewman thread starter macrumors 6502

Now it's occasionally doing it when I turn it off too.

I don't know if it just started doing this, or if I just never noticed it before.

Should I be concerned?

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There is nothing to be concerned about. Recent updates might have had some affect on how it works as well. Constant running of the fan is one thing. A few bursts at startup is likely nothing. It's also possible they updated the firmware when it was serviced. In any event, if the only problem is a brief running of the fans, I wouldn't worry.

6. dougnewman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for making me feel better :) .

It didn't seem like anything to be concerned about as my PB works perfectly otherwise, but I just thought I'd check.