Fan in P'Mac g4 running constant

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SuperCompu2, Aug 29, 2006.

1. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

i have a (gig E) Dual 500MHz PowerMac G4. The fans run at a constant (kinda noisy) rate all the time. Did this model of PowerMac have variable fan speeds, and if so could it be switched lower? The computer really isnt running that hot, with the internal thermometer reading around 98 degrees Farenheit most of the time.

Thanks

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I think you can set that in open firmware, but I've never done it. Google around, I'm sure you can find something about it somewhere...

And just a warning, if your cooling isn't doing enough, the computer will likley shut down on it's own or, worse, the processor could melt. I think that chip has an auto-shut off feature for overheating, but I could definitely be wrong on that.

I have a Sawtooth, and the fan runs pretty constantly. Just stick it under your desk if you don't want to take any risks, I barely hear mine (though my video card fan has been kinda loud recently).

3. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

thanks, i dont think I'm gonna mess with the firmware. Im a native Windows guy and I'm not familiar enough yet with that sort of thing.