Fan is running A LOT more in Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Juventuz, May 7, 2005.

1. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Dec 4, 2002
    I've got a 15" Ti PowerBook and decided to upgraded to Tiger today and so far it's been stable and no real problems. The only complaint I have so far is that the fan runs FAR MORE than before. I'll be browsing sites and about 10-15 minutes in and the fan comes on and won't shut off. The fan has been running for a long time and I never used to have this problem before.

Is anyone else having a problem with the fans running constantly?
  2. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Well I think that is because many more features are running in the back demanding more CPU power...or load...therefore more heat ;)
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

No problems here. You said you 'upgraded' to Tiger, does this mean you didn't do a clean install? I did an upgrade first and Tiger ran well, but not perfectly. There were some small idiosyncracies with some of the new features and some of the old programs. I then did a reformat and install and it's running better than ever. :D
  4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I find that the people that do a clean install don't have as many problems as the people who just do an upgrade and save their old system files. Try doing a clean install, i'm sure it will fix your problem. Also check all the background programs that are running, some of them take up a huge amount of the cpu.
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Also, before this thread explodes into another debate with a certain MR member :rolleyes: about the merits of a clean install, have you tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM? It doesn't seem to me so far that there is any consistent pattern of notebook computers affected by this issue, although I don't think I've heard of it with any iBook users.... I'm not sure about that. But anyway, I believe that the power management hardware controls the fan too, doesn't it? This might be an easy place to start, and it doesn't involve any real hassle beyond rebooting.
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Did you ever have Virex installed on your TiBook? It doesn't play nicely with Tiger at all. I'd disabled mine but used the uninstaller script to wipe it out completely and it stopped the fan running quite so much in my AL book.

I do still find Tiger is running a little warmer though.
  7. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2003
    With Quartz 2D Extreme turned on, Tiger runs cooler on my 12" Albook.
  8. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    That's not going to help on a TiBook.