Fan Recomendations, not the computer kind

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kwyjibo, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well next year i'm living in a dorm at my UNI, and it will not have A/c so for like the first month and a half and the last month i will need a reliable fan to keep me cool. It can't be too large, but i want it good sized (i'm thinking 18-20 inches).

Everyone here seems to have a knowledge about strange things so I thought someone might point me towards an awesome model/ company/ design ....

price isn't too too important, i can spend some cash on something this important. Well hopefully you guys can help ... this eems like the best time to buy because later on in the fall stores start reducing stock of these types of things.

2. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Get one of these mofos (Link) .... i have one and it keeps my room (which is like its own apartment in itself) cool. It can hang on the wall and was also real cheap. I think it was like $30CAD at Wal-Mart or something like that...

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Attached Files:

4. medea macrumors 68030

medea

if the above fan is too expensive, bionaire makes some pretty cool and cheaper fans such as this "retro" model:

Attached Files:

5. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Kwyjibo-

I would go with something cheap if you're using it at your dorm. I would think just a simple box fan would do.

You're going to the U of I in Champaign, right? I don't miss those central Illinois summers at all. Lucky for me, when I went there, I lived at FAR and we had a/c.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

When were you there? I lived across the street in PAR from 1983-1987. We had fun pelting you folks with water balloons. ;)

And we were jealous of your A/C. I had to date an R.A. there just to keep cool. We broke up when it was still warm out... which made the breakup hurt even more....

Edit: at least in PAR, the girls weren't an entire building away... they were just a floor below.

Oh - as far as fans go: I second the recommendation to get some cheap ones (note the plural; more than one) because (1) you'll want more than one aimed at various places (desk, bed, etc.) and (2) they might very well get broken. A broken $10 fan hurts less than a broken $100 one.

7. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

is this theta chi?

Yeah i'm living in the 6pack .... i have an older box fan thats kind of too big/ clumsy for the dorm which is why I wanted something new. Let me look at the links and figure out which one looks good.

also I on'y want one fan thats kind of easy to move... if you guys recall the forms aren't all that big to start with.

8. mac_gal macrumors member

9. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That's got to be the best looking fan I have ever seen. I'll have to look into one of those when my current fan dies. :D

10. Dros macrumors 6502

If you really want to stay cool, you'll want 3 things. An air circulator, to create a breeze in the room. The above fans look nice. But that is only going to help to a point, if you aren't exchanging hot air for cooler. For that, you'll want two window fans that fill each of two window openings. One pulling your hot air out and one pushing cooler night air in. If you have those set-up properly, you'll make your room tolerable in 5 minutes. Even the hot, humid midwest air is cooler at night than the trapped air of a dorm.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Have fun there. As Dros says, a way to exchange the air in your room is a great idea - I forget the window sizes there (and whether you can get away with taking out the screens), but there should be a variety of ways to do the air intake/exhaust thing. And, living in a dorm, getting fresh air in and, er, stale air out isn't only going to come in handy as a way to cool the room down....

12. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Install a ceiling fan and then get a fedora and cheap cigarettes. Sit in your room and smoke and look cool.
    Oh yeah, and play jazz music in the background.

13. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Wow that fan is just awesome, a shame I can't afford or justify a new one. Although the fact there is no cage seems a little worrying despite the "soft rubber blades"

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It is a cool fan (no pun intended). But cageless fan + dorm room environment = bladeless or warped fan very quickly.

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, is a small window a/c unit out of the question? If that proves impractical, there are also portable a/c units (floor-standing), although they cost a bit (about $350). Although a sizeable amount, they are an invertment, and would make your dorm-room (and by extension, you) very popular during the warmer months...
    If you are at all technically inclined, you can even design a makeshift a/c unit out of a fan, a polystyrene cooler, an old refrigerator coil (+coolant) and some aluminum foil...cheap, and kinda fun, if you are into that sort of thing...

Here is a link for portable a/c units (FWIW):
    http://www.best-vacuum.com/hbx/g-airconditioners.html

Good luck...

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

They were doing that back when I was in school, which was seemingly shortly before fire was invented.

And I think a floor-standing unit would be impossible to conceal from the RA's, and, unless the RA is cool, you'd be screwed into getting rid of it.

17. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Yeah, there's no way to have a/c in those rooms. You'd trip a breaker or two.

You're best bet is to date someone who has thier own apartment, and stay with them when it gets too hot. ;)

18. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I like this strategy the best. Vornados look alright, and i might get a pretty big one but thats pretty pricey. My old roomate had a nice and big one, but optimally I want one fan for my window and one directional one to point at my bed ....

this may be a dumb question but whats the difference between a fan and an air circulator, if there is one.

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I suppose an "air circulator" could be more complex (or non-electrical, such as a toga-clad Roman slave girl who fans you whilst feeding you peeled grapes), but, in this context, it's a fan.