Fan RPM monitoring

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MegaSignal, Dec 3, 2004.

1. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

Just recently got a Dual 2.0 G5, and if some of you have seen some of my recent posts, it works great - except I am concerned about the noise from the power supply fan motors; they tend to whir rather loudly.

As this is hard to quantify in terms of noise, I would rather get an app, if one exists, to determine what RPM these fans are running at - and then compare it to other users. All other fans of the system are barely, if at all, audible. It would be nice if the power supply fan motors would be less obtrusive. Looking at the innards of my G5, it looks like Apple did a great job with the other seven fans: low RPM at idle, all rubber-shock mounted. Unfortunately, the power supply is the least accessable, yet the most noisy. Who knows if these fans are operating properly, or if they are mounted the way they should be?

I will truly appreciate any and all help with regard to this matter.

2. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Noisy Fans

Go to http://G5support.com and sign up. From there you can get links to software that you can monitor your fans such as Hardware Monitor. Costs 9 bucks but well worth the cash. This support site also has other posts of hardware scoring so that you can measure your system versus others of the same calibre. Hope that helps.

3. MegaSignal thread starter macrumors 6502