Fan (?) running excessively on MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asherman13, May 9, 2006.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

The fan on my 1.83Ghz bog-standard MacBook Pro seems to be running quite frequently recently...any idea as to why? I haven't made any significant changes to cause this; I just noticed yesterday or the day before that the fan (or perhaps something else) is kinda loud when I'm only doing small things, like running iChat & Safari concurrently (like right now)...

Help?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Is it a sort of rattling/buzzing noise? I've noticed that recently in mine, and it goes away if I rotate the MBP up/down or tap it lightly.

Yeah, I'm sure that's a good sign....

3. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

It's kind of a buzzing sound, but the buzzing sound that you hear when a fan moves really fast, hence my thought that it could be a fan, or perhaps the hard disk platters moving (?).

Doesn't go away with tilting or tapping; it does kind of sound like it's coming from under the right side of the keyboard, or so it seems when I put my head close to the computer.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, it sounds like mine does, but mine can be stopped... but it might be getting worse. Looks like perhaps we both should pay a visit to the Apple Store....

5. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Yeah, probably. I know it's not a "whine"; I installed the CHUD tools a while back and so the Processor switch is on my menu bar and that doesn't do anything for it. It keeps going for a bit after I close the lid and put it to sleep; when I wake it up it waits a bit before starting. I do have the "Put Hard Drive to sleep" box checked in Energy Saver, so as far as I know it isn't the HDD. :confused:

6. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

After perusing iStat Nano I realized that nearly all of my memory is being used (see attachment). Any way I can reset this? I'm only running Safari right now (WTF?!?); Airport is on and running as well.

Could this be the problem? ::Goes to check the Activity Monitor::

EDIT Seems as nothing too bad there; my widgets seem to be taking up a decent amount of real and virtual memory; any way to reset that?

7. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Eureka!

Sorry to do a new post again, but I think I found the real answer:

From http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/macbook-pro-noise-complaints/:
    I think that's what it is...

8. bimboles macrumors member

I took my last MBP back because of the mooing and this one is now doing it too. It is really begining to get on my t1ts.