Fan spinning erratically on G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Redneck1089, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I just came downstairs to find that my fan on my dual 2 Ghz G5 was spinning full blast. The screen was asleep so I tried moving the mouse to "wake" it. Nothing happened and I had to force shut down the computer by holding down the power button.

When I restarted the computer the GPU, which is an X800 XT that purchased a few months after I got the computer, was making a weird humming and rattling noise. It has only now just settled down (about 10 min. after the event). Is there any cause for alarm, or is it just perhaps a glitch of some sort?

2. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

3. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Looks like somebody messed with your computer. Call Apple and they will help you.

4. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Messed with my computer? Do you mean over the net, or just fiddling with the internals when I am not around? It's in my home in my office downstairs. I don't think the rest of my family has too much interest in it.

The computer seems to be working alright now (hopefully I didn't speak too soon). I have a feeling it's the GPU I added last year--ever since I added the Radeon X800 XT the computer has been having some problems. When I try to wake it from sleep mode it starts up for about 10-15 seconds then goes back into sleep mode. I've just left the computer running straight for over a year now with the exception of turning it off when I went away. I tried looking and installing everything on ATI's website for the latest ROM updates, drivers, display updates, etc., but nothing has helped at all. I noticed today when I was looking at their website again that it states in their release notes for their software updates that the updates won't have an effect on 10.4 users.

5. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Maybe they are surveilling your through tour monitor. Always turn it toward the wall at night so the black helicopters won't be able to find you.

No one messed with your computer. Run your Hardware test (instructions are on your OS X Install DVD.

6. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Thanks. I'll try that.