Fan Stabbed, Tossed From Upper Deck at Soccer Game

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, May 12, 2005.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Man Dies, 23 Others Injured in Columbia's Worst Soccer Violence in Over a Year

By JAIRO ANCHIQUE, AP Sports

BOGOTA, Colombia (May 12) - A fan died when he was stabbed and tossed from the upper deck of a stadium during fighting among rival spectators that left 23 others wounded in the nation's worst soccer violence in more than a year.

The mayhem started Wednesday night when a fan rushed past a security barrier and punched the referee in the face.

Three of the wounded were in serious condition, and the rest were treated at the scene. Two police officers were among those slightly injured. National Police Chief Gen. Jorge Daniel Castro said Thursday several suspects have been arrested.

The fighting forced officials to abandon the first-division game at Bogota's El Campin stadium with four minutes left. America de Cali was leading hometown Santa Fe 5-2.

About 100 Santa Fe fans angry over the referee's calls broke down two security doors and rushed the field before being stopped by baton-wielding police, firefighters said.

Moments after referee Fernando Panesso was struck, the crowd of 100 stormed the field while others threw bottles and other objects.

Violence, usually fueled by alcohol, is common at Colombian soccer games. But the death of 20-year-old Edison Andres Garzon was the first since a 15-year-old fan was fatally stabbed during a February game last year in the western city of Armenia.

The police chief met with the officers involved and announced an investigation into how the fan who attacked the referee eluded security despite 700 police officers in and around the stadium. Castro also promised to boost security at soccer stadiums.

"We are going to reinforce the fences, reinforce the doors and control the hooligans," he said.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't get it, is this game really worth killing somebody.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Football (soccer) is merely a vehicle for tribal loyalties.

Stir in a volatile atmosphere, incompetent policing and sometimes it ends up in trouble.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

If i wanna see some viscous fighting I will go to a Pacers Pistons game. :rolleyes:

6. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Yeah, exactly, that's what football is all about - violence. It happens every sunday at stadiums all over the world. Seriously though - there's no sport in the world worth killing for. But this is where I would like to argue that for far the most football fans there's just a bit more to the sport than stabbing members of other "tribes".

A

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Wildly generalising, I was referring to instances of violence within football amongst supporters. Not all supporters as a whole.

8. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

... and in that sense you are absolutely right. I've been to a roma-fiorentina match, sitting behind a large group of tifosi (hardcore fans) where a third of them had their backs turned to the game for the entire match, spending all the time directing the cheers and songs of the rest... quite weird...

A

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I love it...

You hear about crimes all the time referred to as "worst in 20 years" or "worst in 10 years" or even "worst in 5 years"... but no, this is the worst in OVER A YEAR.

Wow, now if THAT doesn't say something about the violence of the fans... :rolleyes:

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Why are international soccer (football) games so violent sometimes? Are the fans really fanatics or something?

On a related note - I think the game Americans call "football" ought to be renamed, since it doesn't focus on kicking. I propose "chargeball". Then, "soccer" becomes "football" to match the rest of the world.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think the thing that really gets me is that this is the *worst* violence they've had in a year....wow, a whole year....

Bleh - I'm sure no alcohol was involved.

D

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't get it, 90 mins of watching a ball get kicked around a field. eh :rolleyes:

13. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

And to think that Americans think that the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry was the most intense in sport...:rolleyes:

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The fighting forced officials to abandon the first-division game at Bogota's El Campin stadium with four minutes left. America de Cali was leading hometown Santa Fe 5-2.

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The only difference is that those fights between the Sox and Yanks are enjoyable to watch. :p

16. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Actually, on a related note, Soccer should be renamed "hooliganism ball, or "bore ball" (nothing like an intense 1 to nill soccer game), or "please dont kill me ball", or... oh, never mind, this is lame...

American Football is called "Foot" ball because of the running (on your feet). Not saying thats the best name for it, especially since Soccer was Football first, but thats the way it is. Too much money involved to change it now. And besides, if Soccer focuses on kicking, shouldnt it be "Kick Ball"?

And besides, this is America. We make our own rules, and then blow up any others who dont follow suite. (please detect the sarcasm). :rolleyes:

17. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

18. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

yeah, that's why it's the most popular game in the world :rolleyes:

19. Crikey macrumors 6502

Hmm. Not a bad idea. But "chargeball"? I'd call it "sprinkies" or maybe "dans d'allouette". ;-)

Crikey

20. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I dont know whats worse, the guy got stabbed and then thrown off the balcony... or the "in over a year" remark. :eek:

21. angelneo macrumors 68000

Maybe the drug lords have something to do with this. or perhaps, someone just wanted that poor guy dead and uses the soccer game as a cover up.... (I think I have been watching way too much TV)

22. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

OMG. I just laughed and spewed spittle marks all over my monitor! :D

23. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Edit: Took out a remark that on second thought, wasnt funny. Maybe a little inappropriate. Sorry.

And windows is the most popular OS in the world, but... you know where this is going...

24. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You forgot the alcohol. The #1 ingredient in violence, death and destruction!