Fancy being finessed by the Chinese on Human Rights!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 29, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-05/25/content_1489552.htm

Despite the oddly babelfish quality of the translation ("small piece of an ice-mountain" indeed!) the damage done to international human rights by the events in Iraq is incalculable. Just as the "War on Terrorism" has given Putin the green light to slaughter the Chechyens, and encouraged countless other tyrants, autocrats and juntas to reclassify political opponents as "terrorists", so the inept and unprincipled adventure in Iraq has tainted the promise of human rights for billions. Good Job!

2. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Thank you. :D

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Well, not you PERSONALLY! :rolleyes:

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well whoopee-poop!

When you look at which nations are on the UN human rights committee, I pretty much don't pay attention to this drivel.

Yeah, the stuff in Iraq isn't good. But, it's a relative few of all our guys in Iraq, much less of our entire military. It's not an intstitutionalized behavior pattern sponsored by our government or supported by our society. If it were, there wouldn't be all the flap. This sort of behavior IS institutionalized in most of the countries which are now so loudly decrying it.

It's just the usual and expected yap-yap; even those doing it know it's yap-yap. They're just having fun at our expense...

'Rat

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This reads like the instructions for a bicycle I bought recently.

I guess the significance of this is lost on some here. It is not a good day when China gets to gloat about human rights. It might be worth a few moments of our time to ponder how that little turnabout came to happen.

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Hmmm. Maybe it IS an institutionalized behavior pattern sponsored by our government(s). Maybe that's why we're so upset it's been discovered...

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And the Security Council contains more than one member who've seen fit to make some parts of the world quite insecure. Is that the UN's fault?

8. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Yeah, if the UN had a "responsible warmongering" commission, it would be headed by George Bush. :rolleyes:

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed.

Seriously, China can now go into Taiwan and do their thang and not get punished for it. Every country has an opponent they believe is a "threat" to their citizens. Anybody makes a move, and there's already a justified reason for war, and nobody can do anything about it because they just have to point their finger at the U.S. and say, "Yes, but look at what they did!"

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Stelliform, I don't jack my jaws about it, but the last time the UN was sorta useful was in 1950. Even then, it took the absence of the Soviet ambassador to do any good.

It's about like the League of Nations: Lotsa good intention, but the reality sucks. And we all know about the road which is paved with good intentions...

My attitude about most of the folks at the UN? "His face was flushed, but, unfortunately, his broad shoulders saved him."

'Rat

11. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Could the "uselessness" of the UN be at least partially due to the frequent use of the US veto, the unwillingness to challenge Israel's disregard of resolutions, and the withholding of US dues?

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

hmmmmmmmmm... maybe! :D :eek: :rolleyes:

13. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Nah, I'm probably over-simplifying... :rolleyes:

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Gee... I thought you were being rhetorical ;)

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm wondering, is complaining about the UN itself even worthwhile? it's only as strong as the commitment of its member states.

kinda like this forum. we can complain about "it," but "it" is what the people here contribute. if people contribute crap, the forum is crap, but that's hardly the fault of the php code.

16. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Well, exactly... ;)

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm wondering how this thread was turned so quickly to a debate about the UN, instead of the issue raised by posted article (which made no reference to the UN). Completely and totally apart from whether the UN promotes human rights as it should is the question of whether the US still can still speak credibility about human rights.

18. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Well thank you! There's the rub. ;)

19. mcfudd macrumors member

just wait for the encore

If you think the hypocrisy of the US human rights record stinks now .. just wait to see what happens if Bush gets another four years in office.

The original article posted should give some people an idea of why the US is universally hated by many, many governments and citizens around the world.

The problem is, you will never hear these sort of stories reported on pro-American networks like CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc.

20. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Circular argument. Without the US giving firm backing, paying attention to resolutions, paying its dues, the UN cannot gain the respect, authority or commitment it needs to carry out the job for which the UK and US helped to design it.

21. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

A very clear example of the kind of arrogance which has led us all into this mess. Do you think that the US is such a paragon of virtue that your representative (John "Death Squad" Negroponte? - give us a fecking break!) has something MORE worthwhile to contribute?

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You're missing the point by a country mile. Once more for the cheap seats: the article doesn't mention the UN, at all, and it wouldn't make any difference if it did. What's clearly been lost here is the ability of the US to speak with moral authority about human rights issues in countries with terrible human rights records, such as China. If you really cared about human rights issues, this loss of leverage would be of concern to you -- and that's what you'd be talking about instead of trying to divert the discussion to the UN.

23. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Not true. I'm seeing Republicans do an about face, now. Also people who were neutral are now pulling away from being neutral.

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't think you could be more wrong on that

25. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That fundamental shift took place a while back. Not too long ago no one would have dared ask the President with whom he had had sexual relations with. There was a don't ask, try to be discreet, don't tell policy that was understood.