fancy christmas list tracker help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jelloshotsrule, Oct 17, 2006.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

here's my situation.

i want to create a christmas list system for my family (yes, i'm a giant geek, i realize) to use. there are a bunch of problems with it logistically that i don't know enough to get around, so i'll just list what i want, and the problems i've come up with

should include:

• ability for all users to edit (add/subtract) items to anyones' portions of the list
    • ability for users to mark items as purchased for any items except under their own
    • ability for users to view what items have been purchased for any items except their own
    • would ideally be web-based, but could be an excel file, or something

my initial approach was to basically have 1 master list, on which all users could edit items, and then create a specific list for every user, which would include all items except their own, on which the purchased items would be tracked.

the primary problem with that is that when joe purchases an item for jane, and marks it as such on his specific tracker list, john's tracker list won't reflect that change unless someone with access to all tracks all changes and updates them, which would be a big pain

so the question is, is there a way to have a (simple, ideally) database or excel file in which every user accesses the same particular file (and thus can edit lists), but for which they can't view the "purchased?" portion of their own section of the list?

off the top of my head i imagine an excel workbook with a bunch of sheets for each person. one of the columns could be "purchased?" and then if there is a way to have users/passwords with different visibility, then one could hide the puchased column for the user's own list, but not for all the other peoples'

haha. so this is way too much effort, but what do you more advanced people think? any ideas for a solution come to mind???

2. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner